My 135g Thread

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
I am making a little bit of progress

Here is the tank as it sits in my basement

Here is a rough sketch of what I plan to do with my plumbing, I am a noob when it comes to plumbing and sumps:

Right now I plan on having the 1" bulkhead drain into a ball valve, and then have vinyl tubing go from the valve to an elbow, both fastened by cement and hose clamps. The more reading I do the more it seems the barbed fittings with hose clamps is the preferred method.

Will I experience a loss of overflow capacity by implementing a ball valve? Or can I plan on still having the 600 gph on the overflows?

In the picture I have the return pump going to 3/4" PVC the whole way? Is there a better method? The Sen 900 pump is rated at about 820 gph at the height I will be running (4'8"), by splitting it into two 3/4" returns how much of that can I expect to lose?

I have another thread regarding sump construction, if anyone feels like they know a few tricks with sumps, feel free to help me out, HERE IS THE LINK

Here is the stand with the doors off, ready to be sanded:

Here is the 30gal. I took the bracing off the bottom (it was cracked in 3 places) and made braces for my sump "lids" to fit in, they are spaced about as much I plan to have them when all is said and done:

Next steps will be building the sump and sanding, painting, reinforcing the stand, stay tuned.

Natalie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2007
Florida
Any updates on your ideas? I have to say, I am so close to devoting my 150g tank to an Archocentrus bachelor pad. As much as I like my midas, I love the "Dutch style" CA setups with 4-5 fish interacting in a big space. Also my midas is becoming super-aggressive and I'm afraid he'll tear up my tank's acrylic walls.

Decisions, decisions.... :)

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Natalie;4682951; said:
Any updates on your ideas? I have to say, I am so close to devoting my 150g tank to an Archocentrus bachelor pad. As much as I like my midas, I love the "Dutch style" CA setups with 4-5 fish interacting in a big space. Also my midas is becoming super-aggressive and I'm afraid he'll tear up my tank's acrylic walls.

Decisions, decisions.... :)
Great minds think alike!!! Right now the plan is a pair of each : C. sajica, C. cutteri, A. nigrofasciata (maybe A. siquia instead), and H. multispinosa.

Or I might swap the cutteri for C. septemfasciatus. Kind of depends of the availability come spring time.

I plan on getting wild-type Green Swordtails or maybe Pineapple Swordtails (like the ones Nutty used to have) as dithers

I just got my DW in! Pics incoming

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Here is the Driftwood I got from Manzman from the MFK Marketplace. Manzman is a great vendor, his DW is priced fairly, you can see pictures of exactly what you are getting, he was courteous and kept in great contact with me. I would recommend him all day long.

Sorry the pictures are crappy, I took them in a hurry, I will get better ones later!

The idea is to hide my returned and canister intakes behind driftwood.

I can almost see the finished picture now, with a nice sand bed with gravel strewn about, and large river rocks piled up creating breeding nooks and line-of-sight breaks. CA micro-monsters swimming around, flaring and defending their stake of the tank. I can't wait.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
romosoldier;4692095; said:
nice find!
Thanks, I got the tank for a steal. I almost spent more on the driftwood than i did the tank.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
skerzfan;4692798; said:
Looking sharp. That definitely has potential!
Thanks, one of the few aspects of the tank that I hasn't been a gift from (or stolen from) you.

Natalie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2007
Florida
I'm a big fan of that driftwood. You're on the right track, I think this is going to look amazing! :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store