My 2" Red Dragon Flowerhorn Advice

wasmik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I purchased 6 fry (1"-1.5") Red Dragon Flowerhorns from Tampa Bay Cichlids. I've had them for two months now and they have doubled in size and are about 2" now. The biggest one is getting some girth and starting to get some red in his/her fins. But overall, I'm not seeing any sign of the pearling and color I've seen on other FH. They are mostly a dull yellow/gold color (see attached). Don't get me wrong, I like these fish and I've grown attached to them. However, I am wondering if these guys will ever turn out to be like the ones I see photos of on the internet. Am I kidding myself that I could buy some really nice quality FH fry for $10 each on the internet? Mainly due to lack of photos online of this size of fry, I have no idea of their potential because most photos are of when they are 3-4". Are there any photos of really high quality flowerhorns when they were 2"? I've read online about how you don't see the colors until they are 3"+, but any encouragement on my fry's potential would help (see pic). Do I really need to pay $200 for a quality FH? Thoughts from anyone that has raised these guys from 1" size would be appreciated! Also, if anyone has ever purchased RD FH from Tampa Bay Cichlids, I would love to see photos of how they look full grown!! Thank you!

IMG_1478.JPG

Last edited:

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
You could get lucky? But the chance is very slim. I agree that you get what your pay for. I got some FH fry on the internet when I first got interested in FH’s. And one of them became a beast. Pretty decent kok and half decent colors. I was definitely satisfied at the time. But compared to the ones they have out and about on the internet these days? You gotta pay to play. You want an instagram model woman. Well you better be ready to step your game up, find it, and get that money. Here’s my baby FH. Imported from Asia and paid for. But no you don’t have to pay $200. Just gotta have a good eye for what you want and know the guy. ;)

C02E9FAA-58B9-4389-8AD1-EEE62F77F8E9.jpeg

Last edited:

wasmik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
Dude, that is an amazing FH! That is what I'm talking about!! Can you help me find one like yours? I'm ready to step up my game coach!

Reactions: ECW

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
You do not need to pay 200.00 for a flowerhorn. I buy great looking flowerhorns for as little as $50.00. Usually you can see amazing color and pearl on high quality specimens when they are an 1.0 inch in size. Some FH, like Kamfa develop, better color and pearl as they age but you can still see it when they are little. Your fish look like parrot crosses to me. From the color to the shape of the face. They might end up looking kind of cool but anyone who sold those as red dragons clearly has no clue what they are selling.

Reactions: RD. and wasmik

wasmik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
Your comment is very helpful. That's what I was thinking too, that even at 1", they should have some color and pearling. Thanks for looking at the pic for me, you don't know how much I appreciate feedback from someone who knows what high quality FH should look like at 1"-2".

My biggest question is, where do you find great looking FH for $50? I don't mind if they are fry (I actually like watching them grow), but I want to buy from a known high-quality line. I am really having a hard time finding a place online. I mean there are places that sell FH fry (like the place I bought these) that have nice photos (probably fake) of what they will look like full-grown, but I don't want to make the same mistake I did last time. How do you check the reliability of the online store or anyone you buy from online? Anything that looks good with photos being sold on ebay, aquabid, etc. are all around $200 (usually in the 3-4" range). Could you please point me in the right direction? I'm willing to do some leg work, but just don't know where to go. I'm open to any type, Kamfas, SRDs, etc. Do I need to go to Thailand or something? LOL.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
South River Aquarium in Brooklyn NY is an amazing shop that I trust. They do online sales, however Im not sure if they are selling flowerhorn anymore. The last time I was there he had no flowerhorns sadly. Where are you located?

wasmik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
I'm in Austin, TX. I searched for them, but can't seem to find a website or online store. They have a FB page, but...?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store