My 2 Severums. Beautiful but trouble breeding

Bich

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
Houston, TX
My Red Spotted Gold Severum and Green Severum have attempted to breed and laid eggs on 2 occasions. Both times, the eggs remain what I understand to believe as fertile and I make sure to have all perfect water parameters/water flow. I've heard they need a few rounds sometimes in order to get it right. To note, they are in a tank by themselves. They are showing all signs of another round, so it should be soon when I can post details/pictures for suggestions/advice.

I've added a picture of their last batch of eggs as well. Photo Mar 19, 9 48 03 PM.jpg Photo Jul 07, 12 43 47 AM.jpg Photo Mar 22, 7 56 23 PM.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I don’t know anything about Severums breeding, but, if they have tank mates maybe they feel like the eggs are threatened and maybe eating them?

Bich

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
Houston, TX
I don’t know anything about Severums breeding, but, if they have tank mates maybe they feel like the eggs are threatened and maybe eating them?
See that is the weird thing... they are by themselves in a 50 Gallon. Both times on day 3.. eggs are still a cream color... no fungus.. then wake up day 4 and boom they are all gone.

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
on day 3 do you ever see any black specs in the eggs ? if yes they should be fertile and what may be happening is they are hatching and the inexperienced parents are just eatng them once they see the movement or if they still seem to be in spawn mode and no eggs they may have wigglers somewhere hidden. if not not sure why they would just eat them sometimes it takes pairs a couple rounds to get everything right. ive also had fish that were not good parents regardless so I always hatched them myself

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store