My 20,000 Gallon Koi Pond DIY

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
OMG, That is Awesome... My kids might get upset if they "lost" their pool though
Haha if they ever get into fish they will understand.
The reason I have not updated this thread in a while is because all these fish have passed away...
I added a few 6-7 inch Japanese import koi into the pond, but before I added them I treated them with some meds. I must of treated too much or something, but I believe the meds burned their gills. They died in 24 hours. Their bodies sank to the bottom of the pond where I could not scoop them up. This caused a huge ammonia spike as all of my new koi died. The rest followed. Still sucks to think about. The good thing is that I get to start fresh, and the pond is still running. I'm doing a tropical fish pond instead. It is not over.

• Sad
Reactions: deeda

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Haha if they ever get into fish they will understand.
The reason I have not updated this thread in a while is because all these fish have passed away...
I added a few 6-7 inch Japanese import koi into the pond, but before I added them I treated them with some meds. I must of treated too much or something, but I believe the meds burned their gills. They died in 24 hours. Their bodies sank to the bottom of the pond where I could not scoop them up. This caused a huge ammonia spike as all of my new koi died. The rest followed. Still sucks to think about. The good thing is that I get to start fresh, and the pond is still running. I'm doing a tropical fish pond instead. It is not over.
:cry:

Thats a shame. Whats the stock?

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
It's gonna take either a very-long-handled dip net, or a mask/snorkel/fin set...but you simply have to develop a way to retrieve stuff from the bottom of that pond.

Imagine trying to maintain an aquarium if you couldn't get stuff off the bottom.

Reactions: Polypterus_36

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
It's gonna take either a very-long-handled dip net, or a mask/snorkel/fin set...but you simply have to develop a way to retrieve stuff from the bottom of that pond.

Imagine trying to maintain an aquarium if you couldn't get stuff off the bottom.
Exactly. I bought a super long pool net to help with that, but mainly I will be draining the pool down so the deep end is 4-5 feet deep.
I am also building a larger filtration system and a uv system right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store