My 2x 9ft plywood frag tank build

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
First I had to do a little finish work on the tanks themselves as I didn't want to leave any crevices that may get missed and end up leaking.IMG_1280.jpg IMG_1281.jpg

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
After i got the full six coats on, I waited a week to let it fully cure (or so I thought, keep reading)
I then began the recommended water curing process. Liquid rubber recommends you fill them up, then drain then 2 or three times.IMG_1303.jpg IMG_1304.jpg IMG_1305.jpg

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
To pause here, the root cause of this problem was on the last coat I did, i put it on heavy, thinking it had a week to cure, and should be just fine, more the better right?
wrong. what happens is if you put on too much, it doesn't cure underneath. When i filled them with water, the water was able to seep into these uncured spaces and bubble them up. The tanks never leaked, but I couldn't leave it due to potential for leeching uncured liquid rubber into my tank.

Danielll

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2019
Okay, you are all caught up. As it stands I just finished my third repair coat on the tanks and they are in probably 5 days of curing time with a dehumidifier running this time, and fans. I added the door, and the room is staying about 72 degrees so it should be a rock solid cure this time.

The goal is to get into water tests by sunday, and be in saltwater the following weekend.
*whew*

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
There used to be some old threads on here about liquid rubber.
I can’t remember if I have ever seen it used for saltwater.
What does the manufacturer recommend for saltwater is this product useable?
Great job so far looking good.

Reactions: Danielll
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store