My 300 gallon plywood build

TinoL

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2016
Hi all, about 3 years ago, I started planning a plywood build. I researched, debated, procrastinated, thought some more..etc... then finally I was like you know, this has to get done. I purchased the parts I thought I needed so I'd be financially commited so I would start. This did the trick.

I decided on a 300 gallon for approx size. I knew I wanted to go liquid rubber because I wanted a tank that could give a little if it had to (even though I was set to make it quite solid). I also knew I wanted that subdued look so dark walls and not very strong lighting. I also wanted to go wider than longer. So I decided on exterior dimensions of 74.5L x 31H x 35.5W. Once I subtracted wood thicknesses and etc, it comes out to just a bit over 300.

So the tank was built about 18 months ago and knock on wood (hah), all's been well. I have the itch to build something bigger and better but I want to give it a bit more time still. Maybe another year of making sure its holding. Anyway onto the build details below....

Plywood was glued together with Tightbond wood for most. I used 2x2 strips of wood for all seams and for that, I used PL Premium construction adhesive. All wood was screwed, clamped and glued to ensure max strength. I made a place for the glass to drop in and sit (which is probably not necessary) and I used 3M 5200 to bond the glass to the rubber. I used 12 coats of liquid rubber everhwhere on the inside plus an extra 3 coats in all seams, corners and bottom. I also added stainless support rods for the top to prevent bowing. Glass is 70"x24"x1/2"

The stand was made from 2x4 and 2x6. It was glued together with PL Premium, clamped and screwed as well. I tried to go a bit overkill in all places for peace of mind.

I'm going to drop pics here. I know its not going into a lot of detail but hopefully will give ideas for some.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Damn, that's a good build. Very well built and the finished article all stocked up looks brilliant. Just curious, what's with the two pipes buried under the sand, are these hidey holes for bottom dwellers?

Reactions: Matteus and TinoL

TinoL

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2016
Damn, that's a good build. Very well built and the finished article all stocked up looks brilliant. Just curious, what's with the two pipes buried under the sand, are these hidey holes for bottom dwellers?
Thanks my friend :). Yes exactly that. My loaches love them.

Reactions: twentyleagues

TinoL

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2016
Looks killer!
Did you use 2x4 on the window frame? What kind of plywood did you use?
thanks my friend! The entire front and the window frame is still plywood. I laminated enough to build up the thickness. I figured plywood might be dimensionally more stable with temp changes and for all plywood to plywood laminations, I used yellow cabinet glue. Only place I used different wood was the 2x2 strips used on the inside along the seams and those were glued and screwed into place with PL Premium construction adhesive - I undersized the strips a few mm and layed a thick bead of the adhesive, allowing for a tiny bit of movement if needed. From what I read, PL is waterproof when cured so I wanted anything on the inside to be using 100% waterproof glues just in case but then I went overboard on the liquid rubber anyway. I'm paranoid but I think with a wooden tank, paranoia is good LOL.

Oh and as for the plywood. I dont really remember which kind but it was a more premium grade that would have fewer knots and holes and had a smoother finish on the front. It was approx 3/4" thick.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Did you keep track of the cost? Looking at doing one of these very soon. I may just get a pentair though depending on cost. If you dont mind me asking what was the finished cost and cost of glass (if you purchased that)?

TinoL

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2016
Did you keep track of the cost? Looking at doing one of these very soon. I may just get a pentair though depending on cost. If you dont mind me asking what was the finished cost and cost of glass (if you purchased that)?
No problem. Hmm I think in total it came up to about $1000 canadian so like $12 US haha. I did overbuy though so I had lots of screws, glue and some wood left over. I bet I could have kept the price a bit lower buying as I needed. Also nothing purchased on sale so buying more carefully may have cut prices further. The glass I paid $250 after taxes. It has polished edges which added a bit of cost but I figured if I am handling it, Id rather have something smooth :)

Tony_G

Jack Dempsey
Mar 22, 2009
Indiana
That tank looks awesome! Been sitting on the fence, myself, about building one. If you had to do it again, would you still use the liquid rubber?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
The pvc pipes in the substrate looks awesome!
I’ve been looking into plywood tanks too, and I really like your setup. Only think I’d want to figure out is how to make a bigger opening under the stand to make that space more usable.

I love the finished tank. You did an amazing job!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store