my 300 gallon plywood tank build video

greenbud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Belfast maine
www.mudmower.com
the tank is done and up and running heres a video with pics and advice about things i learned.
[video=youtube;kJa27htMXoE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJa27htMXoE[/video]

Reactions: Dzballzzz

waynes world

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
North Manchester UK
Good video mate, go`s to show that its as easy and cheap as you want, inspired me to get started on mine now, can i9 ask why did you use pond paint and not pigment the resin to the colour you want or use a top coat/gel.

greenbud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Belfast maine
www.mudmower.com
Good video mate, go`s to show that its as easy and cheap as you want, inspired me to get started on mine now, can i9 ask why did you use pond paint and not pigment the resin to the colour you want or use a top coat/gel.
Thanks for watching the video and pointing out i said pond paint it should have been pool paint. I will have to put an edit text on that.

But back to your question I did look into the idea of tinting the fiberglass but found there to be to may variables in getting the color right. Where as the pool paint was buy it and know it will be the color you want it to be.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Congrats on a build well done. I hope it holds water for a long time to come! Seems as if most people have really bad luck between the 6 month to 1 year mark of their tanks being done this way. I just used pond liner in my build and I have to say that I think I will try pond liner again in the future for an actual aquarium build like your's! Can't wait to see the catfish grown out huge!!! What are you doing for filtration?

greenbud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Belfast maine
www.mudmower.com
looks good man i gotta step up my game lol
Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The hardest part to the build is the stupid fiderglass its all about timing. That and be sure to get out all the bubles. If you cant get it out when roling it go back in cut it out with a knife and do the spot again. Then do one giant top coat. So you know for sure everything is sealed.

greenbud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Belfast maine
www.mudmower.com
Congrats on a build well done. I hope it holds water for a long time to come! Seems as if most people have really bad luck between the 6 month to 1 year mark of their tanks being done this way. I just used pond liner in my build and I have to say that I think I will try pond liner again in the future for an actual aquarium build like your's! Can't wait to see the catfish grown out huge!!! What are you doing for filtration?
Necro sorry i missed your question.
I plan to run it off a combination of filters for now the primary being a cf-400uv.
I have come up with a few ideas to up the anti as the fish get bigger. I have an idea to modify a 5 gallon bucket to work much the same way as an eheim 2217 filter does just need the time to test the idea. If that doesnt work the long term goal would be an above tank sump filter. I have not decided what this tank will be used for after the catfish yet and that will dictate how much more money goes into the idea.

As far as the holding up only time will tell but i based my build on the lodster and shinner tanks in the area one of witch is over 800 gallon and 14 years old. with the 3/4 of plywood and over 1/4 of fiberglass it exceeds most if not all of the tank specs in the area. For that reason i may sell it once im done with it. Have not decided yet. Heck i might just bread a few flowerhorns in it for feeders.

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Nice build. Is the advantage of this build just cost effectiveness? Will you be using the same method on your future giant tank build or will you do something else? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you overall for the build alone?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store