My 75 Gallon Tetraodon Schoutedeni tank journal

Sean W.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Claremont California
Thanks for the kind words guys!

One of my biggest worries about putting him in the 75 was that I thought I would never see him. I am happy to report that is simply not the case. He is always front and center and swims right up to the glass to greet me. Its super fun to watch him bolt across the tank to come up to me. When I feed him I show him the blood worm cube and when I drop it in he attacks it! Its so funny. He is just a joy to have! Zero regrets across the board.

I just need to get these tannins under control, I HATE tannins.

As far as tank mates, He is in with a few fancy male guppies, a couple cory cats, 3 SAEs, a handful of nerite snails and there are a few Crystal Red Shrimps in there.

lobowind

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 11, 2017
New Mexico
Regarding the tannins, I noticed in the Ebert book that it is recommended to keep schoutedeni in a tank that isn't too bright. The choices are:

1. Bright, plenty of light/sun
2. Not too bright
3. Very dim

So, your tannin situation might be more comfortable for a schouti since the 2nd option is the recommended light level. However, if you hate tannins in the tank, you probably will be bothered every time you look at the tank.

Sean W.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Claremont California
Got it all filled back up, the water appears pretty clear for now, but the tannins will come back pretty quick.

I am having a hard time capturing all the details in the wood and really in the whole scape, it really does look much better in person than it does in the pictures.

Anyway, here are a few pics

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm sure it'll be better once it has filled in :)

But already great!

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Looking good! The lily is really nice. I plan on adding some of those when I upgrade.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Looking good! The lily is really nice. I plan on adding some of those when I upgrade.
I saw some 4ft tall ones at London zoo

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I love the clarity of your tanks water and how sharp thr shots are :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store