My 8ft CA tank

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
I picked this tank up about a year and a half ago, second hand, and I absolutely love it. It's a custom size, 8ft long and 24" deep and tall. Awesome footprint for my large cichlids without being a huge tank. I started off with African haps and peacocks in it when I first set it up, but in my usual fashion I got tired of them really quickly - I'm a CA cichlid girl through and through. So 11 months ago I kicked the Africans out and switched it to an American set up, and purchased 6 itty bitty 1.5" baby marbled fenestratus. They have grown like weeds, and I had a pair form - so I cleared out the other four to make room for new species, and kept the pair. They have laid eggs multiple times, but have yet to actually have a spawn that hatched, so I'm hoping less competition in the tank now will help. Unfortunately the ones that were shipped to me are not nearly as marbled as I was expecting/hoping, they're mostly just white...so I'm hoping that I can get some fry from the pair and get some nicer-marked babies from them. There's also two cutteri in there who might be thinking about pairing up as well. My plan is to pick up some pearsei and monte cristos if/when my local supplier gets them back in stock - I'm crossing my fingers, because I REALLY want those cristos!

20211106_190715 (2).jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I picked this tank up about a year and a half ago, second hand, and I absolutely love it. It's a custom size, 8ft long and 24" deep and tall. Awesome footprint for my large cichlids without being a huge tank. I started off with African haps and peacocks in it when I first set it up, but in my usual fashion I got tired of them really quickly - I'm a CA cichlid girl through and through. So 11 months ago I kicked the Africans out and switched it to an American set up, and purchased 6 itty bitty 1.5" baby marbled fenestratus. They have grown like weeds, and I had a pair form - so I cleared out the other four to make room for new species, and kept the pair. They have laid eggs multiple times, but have yet to actually have a spawn that hatched, so I'm hoping less competition in the tank now will help. Unfortunately the ones that were shipped to me are not nearly as marbled as I was expecting/hoping, they're mostly just white...so I'm hoping that I can get some fry from the pair and get some nicer-marked babies from them. There's also two cutteri in there who might be thinking about pairing up as well. My plan is to pick up some pearsei and monte cristos if/when my local supplier gets them back in stock - I'm crossing my fingers, because I REALLY want those cristos!

View attachment 1485592
Welcome aboard ?
Very nice aquarium and CA Cichlids.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hey, good to see you still in the hobby SK. I would have swore that you were a member here yrs ago, guess not.

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Terrific setup.

I am impressed that the cichlids don't rip up the plants.
lol they are all fake - either weighted silk/plastic plants so even when they do move them, they don't float, or actually siliconed to the log pieces.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Hey, good to see you still in the hobby SK. I would have swore that you were a member here yrs ago, guess not.
I was actually, a long, long time ago. Have been keeping fish the whole time, just stepped away from the online sites :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store