My African Butterfly fish's fins are falling off after he jumped out of tank.

RioDante

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2016
So I went to bed last night around 11pm and woke up at 2am to see my ABF on the floor, I don't know how long he had been there but when I picked him up he moved slightly so i put him straight back in the tank. He seemed to start recovering and breathe well. This morning I woke up and he is doing great swimming normally and has regained all of his color. He doesn't have any cuts or bruises and just has some minor tears on his bottom fins or rays. However now,several hours later, his fins are just falling off, it looks almost as if they are just snapping and then falling off. They're whitish right where they break off. I don't think it's fin rot since my water parameters are perfect and the other fish are doing great, however i did read that stress can cause it also. He still hasn't eaten but i chalked that up to the stress.
Does anybody have any ideas as to what i can do?
Thanks.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just keep water parameters up like you have been doing and hopefully it will get better.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
as tlindsey tlindsey said keep it clean, they might be damaged and are being redone, think like insects shed their carapace to make room for a bigger better one. He should be fine i guess. good luck :) and welcome to MFK!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store