My African Cichlid Tank Journal.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
As all suggested, I am starting a dedicated thread to all questions regarding my African cichlid tank.

Tank Size: 100 gallon approx.

Measurements: 150 L × 55 H × 45 W in cm.

Filtration: Sicce 500 whale Canister filter and tank's own power filter.

Lights: Two Led. I don't know the wattage as they came with the tank.

Substrate: Silica sand.

I will update this thread whenever I have a question and there gonna be so many questions so please help. Thanks.

Reactions: Niki_up

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
I want to id some fish so please help what species are they. Would appreciate their common names too please:

Picture 1:

20190920_201835~01.jpg

Picture 2:

20190920_224105~01.jpg

Picture 3:

20190920_224044~01.jpg

Picture 4:

20190920_201853~01.jpg

This 4th picture fish is not aggressive at the moment but I don't know I get this feeling that its some fish which when big will gulp anything.

Please id these 4 types. More to come later. Thanks.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I want to id some fish so please help what species are they. Would appreciate their common names too please:

Picture 1:

View attachment 1389115

Picture 2:

View attachment 1389116

Picture 3:

View attachment 1389117

Picture 4:

View attachment 1389118

This 4th picture fish is not aggressive at the moment but I don't know I get this feeling that its some fish which when big will gulp anything.

Please id these 4 types. More to come later. Thanks.

The #3 pic looks like a Dragon Blood Peacock but not sure. You will also have to wait to see if any of them color up specifically males. Female's or less dominant males will stay drab looking. Female's will remain dule colored ime.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
First one looks like it could be a yellow peacock, second 2 are different variations of the dragon blood peacock, these vary alot in color. The last pic looks female, you'll probably never know the species since all female peacocks look pretty much the same.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Typically there is no way in knowing the genetics of any of the fish purchased from a mixed African tank. Could be this, could be that, could be a mix of this & that. That's the reality of buying from these kinds of vendors.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Typically there is no way in knowing the genetics of any of the fish purchased from a mixed African tank. Could be this, could be that, could be a mix of this & that. That's the reality of buying from these kinds of vendors.

Your absolutely right that is why I stated not sure and looks like.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, I understand. Some fish in the OP's tank are obvious, such as the C. moorii, N. venustus, and possibly the L. caeruleus, but when it comes to many of the mbuna and peacocks from LFS tanks, it becomes a roll of the dice. As Stephen St.Clair Stephen St.Clair stated, the last fish posted looks like it is possibly a female S. fryeri, but I certainly wouldn't bet any serious $$$ on that. It could be the product of almost anything. Even the L. caeruleus in the OP's vid looked off, too much white in the face/head, which could be from inbreeding & sloppy genetics, or the crossing of a different mbuna species at some point in the past. Who knows? Nobody knows, certainly not the LFS who told the OP that all of these fish will be fine in a 100 gallon tank. Many people new to African cichlids get stung in this manner, only later to find out that their fish aren't exactly what they were hoping for, and/or a bunch of fish get killed which for the vendor = repeat bu$iness!

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
The #3 pic looks like a Dragon Blood Peacock but not sure. You will also have to wait to see if any of them color up specifically males. Female's or less dominant males will stay drab looking. Female's will remain dule colored ime.
First one looks like it could be a yellow peacock, second 2 are different variations of the dragon blood peacock, these vary alot in color. The last pic looks female, you'll probably never know the species since all female peacocks look pretty much the same.
Thanks. First picture isn't a yellow peacock for sure. Its like dull white fish and yes I Google and the second and third are dragon peacocks. I see they come in different colors.

The last fish has the bullet shape of an Electric blue Hap. Most likely female.
Thanks. Yes after a google search it does look like electric blue hap. Not of the finest grade.

Yes, I understand. Some fish in the OP's tank are obvious, such as the C. moorii, N. venustus, and possibly the L. caeruleus, but when it comes to many of the mbuna and peacocks from LFS tanks, it becomes a roll of the dice. As Stephen St.Clair Stephen St.Clair stated, the last fish posted looks like it is possibly a female S. fryeri, but I certainly wouldn't bet any serious $$$ on that. It could be the product of almost anything. Even the L. caeruleus in the OP's vid looked off, too much white in the face/head, which could be from inbreeding & sloppy genetics, or the crossing of a different mbuna species at some point in the past. Who knows? Nobody knows, certainly not the LFS who told the OP that all of these fish will be fine in a 100 gallon tank. Many people new to African cichlids get stung in this manner, only later to find out that their fish aren't exactly what they were hoping for, and/or a bunch of fish get killed which for the vendor = repeat bu$iness!
There is no store in my city having dedicated cichlid species only tank. I seen all the stores and all have two or three big tanks having cichlids according to their size. A mix of all lakes in one tank. Small fish in one, medium in one and large ones in one. I can't google at store because employees are unaware of the name of the fish. Its like I first drive to store. Take picture. Come home and post at MFK and wait for reply and then when I get the green signal I go and buy which is not practical for me.

About the electric yellow cichlid, its very nicely coloured. Probably in pic there was some white light reflection on its face.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store