My all time favourite comm tanks

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I cannot call any of those gorgeous tanks a 'community'. Yes, very many, very large, healthy looking, and very beautiful fish in large tanks, but hardly communities.
The term 'community' in ecology has a very specific meaning. I am okay relaxing it substantially in the context of aquarium keeping, but not completely. Perhaps 'group', 'crew', 'fishy denisens' or a number of other terms may be more appropriate.

Admittedly, a matter of opinion.
In my mind, a community implies combinations of members of a number of groups not present on those set-ups - A physical media (sand, gravel, etc), where benthonic organisms (macro and micro) can live, plants playing playing a role in biogeochemical processes, physical elements of decor, planktonic denisens, and of course, the fish interacting with the other members. In a crowded large tank full of beautiful fish (and nothing else), I see just that but barely (or not at all) a community.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I cannot call any of those gorgeous tanks a 'community'. Yes, very many, very large, healthy looking, and very beautiful fish in large tanks, but hardly communities.
The term 'community' in ecology has a very specific meaning. I am okay relaxing it substantially in the context of aquarium keeping, but not completely. Perhaps 'group', 'crew', 'fishy denisens' or a number of other terms may be more appropriate.

Admittedly, a matter of opinion.
In my mind, a community implies combinations of members of a number of groups not present on those set-ups - A physical media (sand, gravel, etc), where benthonic organisms (macro and micro) can live, plants playing playing a role in biogeochemical processes, physical elements of decor, planktonic denisens, and of course, the fish interacting with the other members. In a crowded large tank full of beautiful fish (and nothing else), I see just that but barely (or not at all) a community.
Technically that’s an ecosystem by definition, but I get what you mean.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
i would agree that these are not communities... hard to watch a tank with no substrate and jammed full with huge fish. much more pleasing when there are groups of fish, decoration and different sized fish with different trophic needs.

these tanks are chaotic and anxious- something that, to me, is in direct opposition of how i view my hobby and why i enjoy it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Millions who own these style of set ups would argue the definition of community tank, aka comm tank, which is exactly what they refer to them as. The term "community" is used rather loosely in this hobby, and always has been.

Like it, don't like it, different story altogether.

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
By that logic (not referring to your post RD.)
90% of people in this hobby who use the term 'community tank ' are using it the wrong way .....perhaps we should start referring to such tanks as Bunch-of-fish-who-don't-belong-together-chucked-in-one-tank :)

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Millions who own these style of set ups would argue the definition of community tank, aka comm tank, which is exactly what they refer to them as. The term "community" is used rather loosely in this hobby, and always has been.

Like it, don't like it, different story altogether.
i guess in this instance the common ground by which they are defining community, is residing in the same place.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store