My Azul bass thread

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Yea I’m thinking about doing the 3D background but it’s basically a grow out tank so don’t want to spend to much on asthetics, I love the natural look too but I keep my tanks bare bottom for ease of maintenance and keeping the water as clean as possible. thinking about going sand colored tiles on the bottom of my main tank...

Reactions: Tony A.

Nove Sedici

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Netherlands
Yea I’m thinking about doing the 3D background but it’s basically a grow out tank so don’t want to spend to much on asthetics, I love the natural look too but I keep my tanks bare bottom for ease of maintenance and keeping the water as clean as possible. thinking about going sand colored tiles on the bottom of my main tank...
Cleaning only takes me about 1 hour each week with sand and wood, for me no reaon to keep it bare bottom. And my tanks are in my living room, so esthetics are important for me :)
I've got a Juwel STR background, thats a cheap one and perfect in my opinion

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I have wood and plants for the fish and I’d like a 3D background but every time I’ve had sand it’s been more hassle than it’s worth and I also worry about toxic build up if it’s not mixed up enough

Reactions: Tony A.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
I have wood and plants for the fish and I’d like a 3D background but every time I’ve had sand it’s been more hassle than it’s worth and I also worry about toxic build up if it’s not mixed up enough
I am a bare bottom tank guy anymore it’s just my personal preference call me lazy. I used to scape my tanks but I found it a hassle to always have to remove detritus from the gravel, I had sand in one of my tanks i had to stir it up constantly to make sure there was no toxic gas pockets (anaerobic?) and it used get into my filters and destroy my pumps.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
monsterkeeper87 monsterkeeper87 I think it looks great, I love the color choice I think the azuls will really pop

Nove Sedici

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Netherlands
I am a bare bottom tank guy anymore it’s just my personal preference call me lazy. I used to scape my tanks but I found it a hassle to always have to remove detritus from the gravel, I had sand in one of my tanks i had to stir it up constantly to make sure there was no toxic gas pockets (anaerobic?) and it used get into my filters and destroy my pumps.
Thats why I added some larger earth eaters to stir the sand, and a catfish to remove the dirt :) Never had sad in my filters by the way.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Thats why I added some larger earth eaters to stir the sand, and a catfish to remove the dirt :) Never had sad in my filters by the way.
Had Geos as well I guess it depends on the filtration system and how close to the sand the intakes are, I was running 3k gph closed loop this may be why. I guess if you have overflows into a sump it wouldn’t be an issue with high turnover. But when bass get large 18” plus and go at it sand will and does get kicked up. Again my personal preference is bare bottom to each there own.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
A bit late this month but here’s another monthly update, haven’t gained as much length this month but they are getting much thicker, and the colours are getting better and better, I think I am starting to see the start of the extra bars starting to come in... also my new addition chilling in the pic haha

DF2ED089-7FB2-454C-8553-F3CEF3C41888.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store