My baby arowana

your_animes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2024
Hi guys. Ive seen many silver arowana for the past years since i was in elementary and i must say most of the time theyre actually silver from the body to the fins. But however my silver arowana has a grayish top(The head to the dorsal) and its fins are yellow. Ive also seen some of its siblings has a reddish coloration and with a grayish color also. To the ones who have these kind of silvers can you guys tell me more about them?

Messenger_creation_94377681-781c-4da3-9177-af37c689499a.jpg

Messenger_creation_caacec26-95c7-42e4-86b1-93641a054761.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys. Ive seen many silver arowana for the past years since i was in elementary and i must say most of the time theyre actually silver from the body to the fins. But however my silver arowana has a grayish top(The head to the dorsal) and its fins are yellow. Ive also seen some of its siblings has a reddish coloration and with a grayish color also. To the ones who have these kind of silvers can you guys tell me more about them?

View attachment 1542817

View attachment 1542818
The silver arowana grows fast from my experience with them.

Trouser Cough

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I've had Arowana for roughly 40 years and have one now as well. I've noticed some color variation in juveniles over the years but it's been my experience that as they age the silvers typically lose most of those highlights and tend to look very similar to others w/in the Osteoglossum bicirrhosum species profile.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were exceptions that now maintain their coloration into adulthood but I've not noticed that myself.

Good luck. Color variant or not they're beautiful fish and unique in many ways. Be sure to keep your lid strapped and note that any other fish keeper can instantly tell what your water quality history is like by observing the fins on your Arowana.

your_animes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2024
I was going to a bike shop to fix something and replace a part and i visited the pet shop nearby that was selling 1 inch oscar fishes for 75 pesos(1.20$) and ofcourse i bought home one myself so that my 15 gal would have another monster growing with my arowana and red tail(here is a pic with all of them lolz, also arowana and oscar didnt fight. They let each other off their buisness)

IMG_20240522_164649.jpg

IMG_20240522_164907.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AR1

Trouser Cough

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I've never heard of a short fin Arowana however, there's never been a shortage of Asian breeders willing to label their next breeding anomaly as if it's an artistic outcome rather than a mistake.

I'd also be a little careful w/ that baby Arowana you have. They're far from robust when they're small and more often than not you'll see them raised singularly up until they're at least 6-8" long. The idea is to minimize potential loss vectors in a known delicate species.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
also be a little careful w/ that baby Arowana you have. They're far from robust when they're small and more often than not you'll see them raised singularly up until they're at least 6-8" long. The idea is to minimize potential loss vectors in a known delicate species.
This is best advice given about baby arowana. I always state the same fragile at that size.

Trouser Cough

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I agree. I'd bet a nickel that Oscar will out compete the Aro for groceries, too.

The Arowana is naturally a little timid and inclined to escape whenever there's a scuffle or the potential for one. The Oscar is close to the opposite so I'd definitely be prepared to separate them JIC.

Reactions: jjohnwm and AR1

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I agree. I'd bet a nickel that Oscar will out compete the Aro for groceries, too.

The Arowana is naturally a little timid and inclined to escape whenever there's a scuffle or the potential for one. The Oscar is close to the opposite so I'd definitely be prepared to separate them JIC.
And there is the added layer of difficulty introduced by the fact that this is a 15 gallon tank containing not one, not two, but three extremely fast-growing fish which will all eat food and produce ammonia at astonishing rates. This "community" will require a huge tank upgrade...not next year, or in a few months, but literally within a few weeks.

No, I am not trying to discourage a new aquarist, contrary to the inevitable comments; I am simply pointing out the folly of unplanned impulsive purchases of monster fish, especially when there is insufficient housing available for them. Encouraging that behaviour doesn't do anyone any favours...most especially the fish.

Personally, I think the Arowana and Oscar will get along wonderfully together...inside the Red-tail...soon...assuming that massive water changes are done frequently enough to keep them healthy for the month or two it will take the cat to grow large enough to hunt them down in two square feet of real estate. The Arowana will disappear first, since the Oscar will out-compete it for the lion's share of the food. But the required overfeeding that will be done to allow the Aro to get anything to eat will explode the cat at a size that must be seen to be believed, and that's the beginning of the end.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
And there is the added layer of difficulty introduced by the fact that this is a 15 gallon tank containing not one, not two, but three extremely fast-growing fish which will all eat food and produce ammonia at astonishing rates. This "community" will require a huge tank upgrade...not next year, or in a few months, but literally within a few weeks.

No, I am not trying to discourage a new aquarist, contrary to the inevitable comments; I am simply pointing out the folly of unplanned impulsive purchases of monster fish, especially when there is insufficient housing available for them. Encouraging that behaviour doesn't do anyone any favours...most especially the fish.

Personally, I think the Arowana and Oscar will get along wonderfully together...inside the Red-tail...soon...assuming that massive water changes are done frequently enough to keep them healthy for the month or two it will take the cat to grow large enough to hunt them down in two square feet of real estate. The Arowana will disappear first, since the Oscar will out-compete it for the lion's share of the food. But the required overfeeding that will be done to allow the Aro to get anything to eat will explode the cat at a size that must be seen to be believed, and that's the beginning of the end.
I didn't read the OP thread but everything you stated is facts. The last Silver Arowana I purchased was about 4 inches it outgrew both a 29gal and 55gal in approximately 6 months lol. I eventually moved it to a 180gal until it jumped out. I'll never buy another Arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store