My Bichir's body has been bent

Alixnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2019
+1

it’s likely due to injury If it happened suddenly. Net this endli out for a minute or two. To see it will naturally wiggle side to side in an attempt to escape. might just have to wait it out to see if the bent spine improves.
I grabbed her by the hand, she tried to escape. She's still strong but doesn't eat anything and turns around as she moves

AngryRainbow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2019
Do you remineralize the RO water after it's gone through the ro filter?

I use ro water as well, but I've always been told if certain minerals aren't added back in the fish can develop deficiencies.

Alixnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2019
Do you remineralize the RO water after it's gone through the ro filter?

I use ro water as well, but I've always been told if certain minerals aren't added back in the fish can develop deficiencies.
I add multivitamins and bacteria to the water، After this problem, I added a little iodized salt.

AngryRainbow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2019
Do you know the gh and kh of your water after adding these items? What does the multivitamin contain? Three big things fish need are calcium, magnesium, and iron. I personally use seachem equilibrium and their buffers to bring up the mineral content of my RO water

Reactions: Alixnet

Alixnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2019
Do you know the gh and kh of your water after adding these items? What does the multivitamin contain? Three big things fish need are calcium, magnesium, and iron. I personally use seachem equilibrium and their buffers to bring up the mineral content of my RO water

Tnx, I did not know this, since today I add minerals and announce the result.

Reactions: AngryRainbow

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with those that point out, that straight RO water is "not" good for fish, even those fish from soft mineral poor water.
If using RO, some tap water, or minerals should be mixed in.
Testing for conductivity, total hardness, and alkalinity could tell you haw much or how little to add.
And doing research into the water parameters your fish have evolved to live in would help.
General fish literature often lists the kind of parameters found at catch locations, like the ones below.
Note how different they each are from each other.
EA50EC75-40F0-4D44-A9DF-F4A71ECC7857_1_201_a.jpeg
The one above, is for Hypselecara temporalis in S America.
Below water parameters Vieja bifasciata were caught in.
831F57A2-B5A0-4575-8C14-5F8384697AF5_1_201_a.jpeg
and below parameters normal for Herichthys cyanuguttatus (the Texas Cichlid)
46A428DB-8D33-46A0-913B-4F52858F3EB9_1_201_a.jpeg
These are all from the book American Cichlid Large Cichlids II by Staeck and Linke

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Not being a bichir keeper myself, I had to look up the type parameters they are found in, and the general info shows a hardness between 8-12 degrees gH. Although this is considered relatively soft, it is not as devoid of minerals as RO water, so for bichirs some calcium hardness is normal and may account for the bent spine. You might try doing 50% RO with 50% tap if your tap waters extremely hard.
Water without any mineral components tends to leach out calcium from the fishes body (even humans drinking straight RO is considered unhealthy (depending on how tainted the drinking water source is).
If you put certain crustaceans in soft water, they die because they use the calcium on hard water to construct their exoskeletons.

Reactions: Alixnet and deeda

Alixnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2019
UPDATE: She finally ate a bit frozen Kilka yesterday (after about a week and Try different foods), but the color of her stool was green today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store