My bichirs

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
how do you feed the smelt: cut it up or serve it whole? Would you recommend it for smaller UJs?
I usually feed them whole now. Before in the past, I would cut it up but I personally hate cutting it up because its really messy and smells gross. A lot cleaner to dump the whole smelt in.
You can cut it into pieces like this. I would only recommend feeding in small amounts. It can get pretty oily.
IMG_8124.jpg

Cut up to bit size if polys small, you can feed whole fish but it makes a mess on the tank. I would recommend it, its a good source.
In my opinion, it's a lot cleaner to feed whole fish since my bichirs can swallow them whole. But it can be messy if your fish isn't big enough for a whole smelt.

Reactions: clm08k

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I usually feed them whole now. Before in the past, I would cut it up but I personally hate cutting it up because its really messy and smells gross. A lot cleaner to dump the whole smelt in.
You can cut it into pieces like this. I would only recommend feeding in small amounts. It can get pretty oily.
View attachment 1351678

In my opinion, it's a lot cleaner to feed whole fish since my bichirs can swallow them whole. But it can be messy if your fish isn't big enough for a whole smelt.
But your fish are bigger compared to others:hitting: clm08k clm08k have UJ with smaller mouth :jaw-dropp compared to 15”+ LJ that have bigger mouth:jaw:I also used to feed my LJ whole smelt but for smaller ones they just make a mess.:naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store