Dempseygunz

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2009
Washington DC
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
No
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
What is going on with my cats? 1/4 arcre pond. 20220704_170947.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Looks like a male channel cat with a swollen head and marks from the spawning season… the males will get darker also, almost black. Again, id guess just typical spawning activity/marks… it’s def. that time of year for them.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Good eye Wednesday,I couldn't make out anything with that photo .
Pretty limited info to go off of i agree lol… just so happens i spent many yrs on the bank slayin channel cats ?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I'm an idiot, I posted the wrong picture. Here it is.

View attachment 1498845
Looks like another male… id still say the same thing. There spawning everywhere right now. It should subside through the summer and they’ll heal up fine. Males will fight like that and theyll leave bite marks on the back end of the females as well.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I've not had a new cat in 4 years. You think it's bc they get eaten by the bass?
Tough to know for sure depending on what kinda structure u have in the pond. Average growth in only 6” in the first year so ud prob be seeing the previous yrs spawn…With bass and other cats in there theyd have a tough
way to go. Im sure some are still making it even in the 1/4 acre pond. Some yrs are better than others also… for example, ive fished the same area for pike for 20+ yrs… some yrs i find 3-6” pike everywhere… other years i dont see even 1. Are “new ones” still there. Probably… just not in abundance like other years.

Dempseygunz

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2009
Washington DC
Tough to know for sure depending on what kinda structure u have in the pond. Average growth in only 6” in the first year so ud prob be seeing the previous yrs spawn…With bass and other cats in there theyd have a tough
way to go. Im sure some are still making it even in the 1/4 acre pond. Some yrs are better than others also… for example, ive fished the same area for pike for 20+ yrs… some yrs i find 3-6” pike everywhere… other years i dont see even 1. Are “new ones” still there. Probably… just not in abundance like other years.
We have quite a few bass in the pond. I should probably thin the population a bit. I have 4-5 large channels and 1 albino cat in there that Ive seen over the past 4 years. Come fall there is barely any bait fish left so I imagine any cat-lings are toast. I really don't even know if any of my cats are female.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
We have quite a few bass in the pond. I should probably thin the population a bit. I have 4-5 large channels and 1 albino cat in there that Ive seen over the past 4 years. Come fall there is barely any bait fish left so I imagine any cat-lings are toast. I really don't even know if any of my cats are female.
Aye, much less cat population than i thought… id try to add a cple females see what happens ??… the males will still go at it/go through the motions of spawning im sure even without any ladies around. The females will have smaller heads and more of a brown coloration. They will also get bigger so it makes it kinda hard to tell. Ill try and get ya a pic of the 2. Would b fun to see if u could breed them in there.

Reactions: Dempseygunz
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store