My Blue Diamonds have mated

Jeanettie

Feeder Fish
Jun 5, 2017
Hi everyone.... I am new to the site. I have a few tanks throughout my house but my discus tank is the love of my life. I have a couple of blue diamonds which I have had for about a year. One was fairly mature when I got it the other was very young. They are now the same size and over the last few months have paired up. Very easy to identify the male and female. The female has laid her eggs twice over the last week on a spawning cone that's been in the tank for about the last 6 months. I haven't seen the male fertilise the eggs either time, only eat them. I realise this is pretty normal in the beginning but if anyone has any advice to help them along I would greatly appreciate it. My tank in very large and they pretty much have a four foot area all to themselves. The other discus don't bother them, they spend their time up the other end of the tank (they always have). I have a UV filter up that end and they probably like the warm flow of water. I only have discus in the tank, it's bare bottom , 6 foot tank, Fluval 406 up one end and a smaller canister with UV filter attached up the other end. Aerated power head and wave maker, Temperature is 30-31 Celsius. Water quality pristine, mange to keep nitrate at zero with a 50% RO water change every 7 days. Water aged for about a day, heated with kh and conditioner added prior to water change. I am not really prepared to separate the discus at this stage as I don't think this is a problem at the moment. It's probably worth mentioning that the pair have never been dominating fish in the tank, they have always just gone with the flow (so to speak). Look forward to your comments.

Reactions: paulW

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
You might want to check out the website SimplyDiscus.. I would offer some help myself, but I have no experience.

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
No experience breeding discus but all the chichlids I have breed have a tendency to lose most or all of their fry when left in the main tank. When I want to breed a pair I always pull them into their own tank so that I have much better odds of getting fry. Ive actually decided I'd like to keep and breed discus myself. Currently have four younger red tiger turquoise discus that I am growing out right now. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store