My Channa from India and Rest of the World

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys,

Been a while. Managed to click some pics and videos of some. Admins/Mods can help embed the links as I couldn't.

Channa limbata 'Canara Green' from the South Western ghats of India

Channa sp. 'Emerald Green'

Channa sp. 'True Blue'

One of the largest & colourful Channa stewartii variants that I keep

Female

Male

To finish, an unusual Auranti with a face colour pattern of Barca - could be a natural hybrid!

Watch the unusual auranti's video below to view clearly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o6SygXjO-s

Also below other videos taken:

Video of the Chocolate Bleheri/Chocolate Flamefin pair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwGcnc4iyOs

Video of the Channa limbata 'Canara Green'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6xYIKpZFlw

Video of the Channa andrao pair and fry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIvY44nv4Ds

Video of one of my most colourful Channa stewartii types that I keep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBllOGl-IIg

That's it for now folks.

Have a great day! :)

Tabby

Thanks for sharing your awsome Channa collection :)

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Very nice. I have a pair of bleheri who matured much like your chocolates/flamefin bleheri.

They have very wide bright red bands . It started as a group of 6 only 2 were colored like that the rest have more typical colours . Is it a locality or just a random variant ?

I like the stewertii as well, are those colourful ones cf.barca ? I saw some very similar on a wholesale list labeled as " b grade barca". Even at small sizes they had amazing colors.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I think it's more likely to be a locality or morph then a hybrid.

I can't see a Auranti/barca hybrid happening I just can't see them excepting each others presence in shared territory let alone breeding. I would imagine the size difference between the 2 species at maturity would also be a huge hurtle. An Auranti/ stewertii hybrid could possibly yield similar results and size between a very large stewertii and a small auranti would be closer but again I can't see it happening given the nature of these animals . I could be wrong but my guess would be that it's just an unusual hypomelanistic color morph of Auranti , if more start popping up the maybe a locality. I'm no expert though, and don't have the benefit of seeing how they behave in the wild so I could be completely wrong .

While on the topic have you ever seen any other unusual auranti ?

I have some noticed some variation among my fry most look very similar to their parents but there are small numbers who show extremes in one way or another. Some very dark black with little yellow, others have very little black and are almost completely yellow and gold. A few have very high amounts if blue over the entire body. Of course I'll be holding the oddballs to see how they devolope into adulthood :) I'll have a wall rack of just Auranti but i just have to see how they turn out when older !

nirman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 12, 2012
Sri Lanka
I think it's more likely to be a locality or morph then a hybrid.

I can't see a Auranti/barca hybrid happening I just can't see them excepting each others presence in shared territory let alone breeding. I would imagine the size difference between the 2 species at maturity would also be a huge hurtle. An Auranti/ stewertii hybrid could possibly yield similar results and size between a very large stewertii and a small auranti would be closer but again I can't see it happening given the nature of these animals . I could be wrong but my guess would be that it's just an unusual hypomelanistic color morph of Auranti , if more start popping up the maybe a locality. I'm no expert though, and don't have the benefit of seeing how they behave in the wild so I could be completely wrong .

While on the topic have you ever seen any other unusual auranti ?

I have some noticed some variation among my fry most look very similar to their parents but there are small numbers who show extremes in one way or another. Some very dark black with little yellow, others have very little black and are almost completely yellow and gold. A few have very high amounts if blue over the entire body. Of course I'll be holding the oddballs to see how they devolope into adulthood :) I'll have a wall rack of just Auranti but i just have to see how they turn out when older !
Pics would be great? ;)

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I'll get pics once I've separated them out after the holidays . Right now they are still in large groups I'm sorting by size for now to save on tank space and keep aggression down . I've tried getting pics of some of the "unique" ones but getting a good pic of a snakehead is hard enough let alone getting one hidden among 100 in a big tank lol

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
As allways some grade A channa.

That Emerald Green looks like my Galaxy Blue...

That Auranti is awesome!

nirman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 12, 2012
Sri Lanka
I'll get pics once I've separated them out after the holidays . Right now they are still in large groups I'm sorting by size for now to save on tank space and keep aggression down . I've tried getting pics of some of the "unique" ones but getting a good pic of a snakehead is hard enough let alone getting one hidden among 100 in a big tank lol
Yeah separated unique ones and also there normal siblings pics would be cool... :thumbsup:

Kaan

Feeder Fish
Aug 19, 2015
IMG_20150819_165108.jpg
Hi tabby, what is the name of this channa fry which I caught today from a local pond at tirunelveli in tamilnadu...

Kaan

Feeder Fish
Aug 19, 2015
IMG_20150819_165100.jpg
Hi tabby, what is the name of this channa fry which looks completely orange in color with transparent fins?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store