Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Do you feed your shrimp, I don’t. They are in a shrimp only bowl with high plant mass, and direct sun light to drive plant and bio film growth. I top it weekly with nutrient rich water from my other fish tanks.
Maybe once a week with some of the fancy stuff a friend donated to me. Otherwise just an algae wall feeds them

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Maybe once a week with some of the fancy stuff a friend donated to me. Otherwise just an algae wall feeds them
I agree with you and would like to add, having a well seasoned tank with good plant growth is key to being able to get away with less feeding. I feed my shrimp 2 to three times a week, I believe that the increased feeding helps them when their in breeding mode.

Last edited:

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Good color Cherry. How long does it take you to increase the population to 35.

I started a planted shrimp bowl a month ago with blue Cherry. I haven’t seen any babies yet but I have spotted females carrying eggs, so hopefully the population will multiply.

That’s fast! I don’t know how you can count them as I have trouble counting the adults. How large are the babies at birth and how fast they grow?
When I bought my shrimp they were allready saddled and within the first month of them being I’m my aquarium I had 2 buried females. After about 2 weeks later there were little fry swimming around the tank. The baby’s are very small and translucent at first. Having java moss or any moss is very important for the fry to feed on and hide in until there comfortable enough to swim around. Once you have baby’s it’s important to increase the feeding so they get a good fighting chance to make it. I didn’t have any loses in fry all my baby’s made it from birth until now and I now have some sadled baby’s getting ready...

Reactions: Matteus

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Thanks. Shrimp will eat anything really I do feed them a shrimp pellet, but for at least 6 months I was feeding them some extra bug bites I had on hand. Java moss is excellent for shrimplets. I have noticed in my one year of keeping cherrys that it’s important to feed small particles for the baby’s as the adult shrimp will steal the food from the baby’s.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Wow. That’s beautiful. What do you feed the shrimp? I just recently inherited a hand full of these guys, and now I have close to 40 in a little 5g with tons of moss and almond leaves.
This is the food I’ve been feeding. I recently setup the worlds smallest racking system of 5 total gallons. I’m going to try selective breeding for fun. Let’s see you setup Matteus Matteus this forum is lacking in shrimp lovers.

51A51490-1EE0-4CDA-8AED-0942747AC81C.jpeg 04805243-F657-4C93-AFE4-B9AEBC69D8C8.jpeg

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
This is the food I’ve been feeding. I recently setup the worlds smallest racking system of 5 total gallons. I’m going to try selective breeding for fun. Let’s see you setup Matteus Matteus this forum is lacking in shrimp lovers.
I love the mini rack system. You have a real knack for making your tanks look spectacular @TheWolfman.

I will have to look into some shrimp wafers. Right now they are sharing a home with my red dragon plakat so what she doesn’t eat, I suppose they will pick up. Also I have 3 different types of moss in there. I have not had time to get a nice scape setup running, just bare bottom with lots of moss atm. I got the first batch last weekend and this weekend picked up a bag of cherries for $18 but there seemed to be 30 plus in there. I find them fascinating, I wasn’t expecting to just stare at them for hrs.
View attachment 1341022 View attachment 1341023
Tx deadly.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Tx deadly.
I will have to look into some shrimp wafers. Right now they are sharing a home with my red dragon plakat so what she doesn’t eat, I suppose they will pick up. Also I have 3 different types of moss in there. I have not had time to get a nice scape setup running, just bare bottom with lots of moss atm. I got the first batch last weekend and this weekend picked up a bag of cherries for $18 but there seemed to be 30 plus in there. I find them fascinating, I wasn’t expecting to just stare at them for hrs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store