My current MARBLE SLEEPER GOBYS

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Think i like him the best. What size tank do you grow out in and what would be a good size tank for a maxed out sleeper goby?
Thanks he's a monster. I just use what tanks I have, I leave all the tank size requirements for the internet experts. I have personally kept a pair of these fish in a 55 gallon for close to 10 years. I currently have 5 tanks of these fish 75, two 125s, 220 and 240. Most of these fish are not feed properly and never come close to full potential. These fish can stop growing at 10-12 inches or grow to over 2 feet so 125 to 300 I would say is a good range. If you get a good one you will need a 6x2 at least I would say but I haven't really seen anyone raise big one in the US. If they were not over fished being one of the most highly sought out asian food fish 3 feet is attainable. The biggest tank you could get for any fish is always best.10398.pnglipuCh99Y1 (1).jpgimages (2).jpeg28154537_209531636458893_7747331599879897088_n.jpg these fish can get big.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thanks he's a monster. I just use what tanks I have, I leave all the tank size requirements for the internet experts. I have personally kept a pair of these fish in a 55 gallon for close to 10 years. I currently have 5 tanks of these fish 75, two 125s, 220 and 240. Most of these fish are not feed properly and never come close to full potential. These fish can stop growing at 10-12 inches or grow to over 2 feet so 125 to 300 I would say is a good range. If you get a good one you will need a 6x2 at least I would say but I haven't really seen anyone raise big one in the US. If they were not over fished being one of the most highly sought out asian food fish 3 feet is attainable. The biggest tank you could get for any fish is always best.View attachment 1391978View attachment 1391979View attachment 1391980View attachment 1391981 these fish can get big.
Excellent. I understand what you mean about the tank size. My inquiry was more geared towards their activity levels and movement in tank. Imo a sedentary large fish vs. an active one might be fine with less space or height in the tank etc...

Are your tanks full fresh or brackish? This might be a no brainer question but i always thought they were brackish fish.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Sedentary is kind of misleading with this fish species a lot of them are very inactive during the day but each individual is different. Almost all the ones I've had a very active at night out and about hunting for food so I feel they should have a tank that matches the size if each individual fish. I get lots of questions that people want me to answer that I cannot. I have five tanks of these fish and each one is different. These fish are nocturnal with excellent eyesight and very active when the lights are out. My 20 inch male is solo in a 240 he will come out to eat and hang out with or without the lights. He will sit at the top and eat krill or worms as I drop them in. He's much more active at night he will hunt and eat hundreds of rosy reds in one night. He not at all as inactive as he appears to be in the daytime. My 18 inch male is solo in a 125 extremely nocturnal you will almost never see this fish in the daytime, but he too is very active at night and will comb through every inch of his tank hunting ghost shrimp and small fish. This guy needs a new tank soon he is close to maxing this tank out in my opinion. His brother is only 10 inches in a 125 and is always out and active. As soon as you walk by he shoots up to the top looking for food. This male would actually be fine in a 75 for years or maybe his whole life. He is very active in the day or night. This tank also has three females in the 7-9 inch range and they are all active in the day and night as well. My big female 17 inches and is always out active and ready to eat. She is not bothered by light and is also active at night. My youngest male is 14-15 inches he will hang out with or without the lights on will eat in the day but also loves to hunt at night like my other big males. My three big males are very aggressive they don't tolerate tank mates very well. They all prefer live food and love to hunt.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Very impressive looking fish,you are truly the king of sleeper gobies around here.Beautiful photos too, by the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store