My disease book!

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but info on fish diseases comes in all shapes and sizes. I rely on papers I search out using Google Scholar. Just to give you an idea of what you can find. Here is a paper on Ich you might want to check out:

REVIEW ARTICLE

An assessment of the use of drug and non-drug interventions in the treatment of Ichthyophthirius multifiliis Fouquet, 1876, a protozoan parasite of freshwater fish

S . M . P I C Ó N - CA M AC H O1 * , M . M A R CO S - LO PE Z 2 , J . E . B RO N 1 and A . P. S H I N N 1
1 Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, FK9 4LA Stirling, UK
2 Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Rd, AB11 9DB Aberdeen, UK

(Received 17 June 2011; revised 12 September 2011; accepted 16 September 2011; first published online 14 November 2011)

S U M M A R Y
Infection by the ciliate protozoan Ichthyophthirius multifiliis Fouquet, 1876 causes significant economic losses in freshwater
aquaculture worldwide. Following the ban on the use of malachite green for treating food fish, there has been extensive
research aimed at identifying suitable replacements. In this paper we critically assess drug and non-drug interventions,
which have been tested for use or have been employed against this parasite and evaluate possibilities for their application in
farm systems. Current treatments include the administration of formaldehyde, sodium chloride (salt), copper sulphate and
potassium permanganate. However, purportedly more environmentally friendly drugs such as humic acid, potassium
ferrate (VI), bronopol and the peracetic acid-based products have recently been tested and represent promising alternatives.
Further investigation, is required to optimize the treatments and to establish precise protocols in order to minimize the
quantity of drug employed whilst ensuring the most efficacious performance. At the same time, there needs to be a greater
emphasis placed on the non-drug aspects of management strategies, including the use of non-chemical interventions
focusing on the removal of free-swimming stages and tomocysts of I. multifiliis from farm culture systems. Use of

You ean read the entire paper here. It has a table that runs many pages showing more treaments than anybody knew exusted and then it gives the results of them on the various life stages of Ich and dosed in various ways. http://dspace.stir.ac.uk/bitstream/1893/10147/1/Picon Camacho et al Parasitology Ich chemo review.pdf
Yeah I agree, this is just for simple studies and for a quick thing to help me learn more about any disease I want.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
These projects are constructive, keep at it! If you want to go into science at all, stuff like this is where you start :D

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
These projects are constructive, keep at it! If you want to go into science at all, stuff like this is where you start :D
I looked into the University Of Florida and the 1st course seems so easy it’s like a walk in the park. Catfish and common fish diseases are 2 of the subjects?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I looked into the University Of Florida and the 1st course seems so easy it’s like a walk in the park. Catfish and common fish diseases are 2 of the subjects?
What course specifically? The closest university to me that offers ichthyology is 900km away. My first year of science is general; Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology. Next year is almost pure biology. So far I have done some biochemistry, cytology (cells), genetics and evolution.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
What course specifically? The closest university to me that offers ichthyology is 900km away. My first year of science is general; Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology. Next year is almost pure biology. So far I have done some biochemistry, cytology (cells), genetics and evolution.
It was like the starting course. Don’t remember the name. I was looking for schools I need to take to be a marine biologist.

Reactions: Hendre

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
image.jpg
I worked on fish louse today(or fish love) and this is all I really got. Any more info would be appreciated!

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I worked on velvet today, took a little break because I went on vacation and was very busy lately. How much should I write down for the amount of salt to treat velvet?

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store