My DIY stand

JD_MAN

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
Indy Anna
neoprodigy;2253205; said:
awesome! that is how im going get my build!
Sweet. :D

Petrella88;2253653; said:
Thats great, I did one but everything is in the rough, maybe my next one will be done nicely like yours

Who ever said pine (rough lumber) doesnt look good all you need is a dark stain! Again, lookin good
I would have changed to a darker stain, but I didn't do the doors at the same time and was worried I wouldn't be able to match a mixture of stains.

ghengis;2253673; said:
Over-engineered? Where?? Don't have a clue what you're talking about!! That stand looks awsome, bro. I love a good looking lump of solidly built furniture!

A question, though...

...isn't styrofoam supposed to provide some cushion for the glass under the weight of all that water?

Great work, anyway! :clap
Thanks.

I have just heard the styro. being used to level the tank, so it doesn't throw off the corners, which could lead to the seal breaking. I didn't really worry about the weight being a problem with the glass.

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
JD_MAN;2255983; said:
... I have just heard the styro. being used to level the tank, so it doesn't throw off the corners, which could lead to the seal breaking. I didn't really worry about the weight being a problem with the glass.
Its also about imperfections in general. Level or not, each board can have a twist or bow, you may miss it, but 1000+ pounds of water has a way to find them.

JD_MAN

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
Indy Anna
mach_six;2256384; said:
Nice stand however if you're not going to build a canopy to match it, I would paint the stand black to plastic trim.
I was supposed to have built a canopy by now. I am just way to lazy. I have another stand that needs trim, doors, and stain.

Lil_Stinker;2256237; said:
Its also about imperfections in general. Level or not, each board can have a twist or bow, you may miss it, but 1000+ pounds of water has a way to find them.
I always hope for the best. :WHOA:

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
JD_MAN;2260032; said:
The thing is a rock by the time it's done. No real need for any corner bracing.
Just the plywood skin is plenty of bracing. If you glue/screw 1/8" sheeting on it, it'll never flex. I went overboard and used 1/2" on mine since I didn't put lateral supports in, but 1/8" would have been plenty.

jj83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Kennewick, Wa
That's excellent! I'm gonna need to build a couple stands when I move into a new house next month. Hope they turn out as well as yours :)

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
It would take a serious amount of water movement to really get a good wood stand to move to the point of stressing the stand enough to break. 1/4" is plenty to keep the stand from moving.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store