~~~my EARTHEATERS down and dirty~~~

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
Charles d;2715612; said:
those are great looking fish
Thanks, though I think my others in my 125 look much better, granted they are also full grown. Got pics in the photo lounge.

edburress;2715666; said:
Congrats Jamie! Looks like way more than 100 to me, keep the updates coming:popcorn:

IME the youngsters grow fairly quickly until 4" or so, then slow down considerably and start growing in spurts through maturity and adulthood, especially females. I've heard of them growing quite quickly, but under vastly different feeding schedule than mine.

I would call them slow growers, but their fry grow 3x as fast as my S. leucosticta fry, so I guess it depends on what you have to compare them to.

Ed
I was comparing, should have stated that earlier. My Altifrons have grown almost twice as fast as my Orangeheads

SusieQ;2716456; said:
Hi Jamie... Congrats:thumbsup::thumbsup: Love the fish and the video.. Maybe this is a sign that 2009 is gonna be a great year for you..:clap Please keep us updated with pics/videos etc. I'm picking up my babies on Sunday.. hopefully they will grow up to be as beautiful as yours and Ed's. Sue:mwave:
Thanks Susie! :D

LeahisAwesome;2716460; said:
Thats awesome congrats!
Thanks Leah!

cichlidinsomniac;2716480; said:
nice fish but it looks like all the eggs are covered fungus
I noticed that in the video, I took it with a P & S camera. In person the eggs have a slight 'pinkish' tint, so they are still good;)

cichlidfish;2716533; said:
Congrats!
Thanks!

danny2875

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
Astoria, NY
great setup

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
danny2875;2718230; said:
great setup

Thanks Danny, it's just my 75 growout tank, Really wasn't expecting any breeding from them. A week ago I took about half of the Geos out to put in a bigger tank to continue growing until full adult and my smaller ones laid eggs!!! No temp raise or PH drop just netted a few out and BAM! Though I'm really not expecting any from this batch, a few survivors would be nice but we'll see.:)

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
They're holding as of yesterday morning!!!

It's kinda sad during feeding time, they watch the food float right past them and they cannot eat anything due to the babies in their mouths.

I would like to move them to their own tank but I think I will just leave them be.

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
BAD NEWS

Well, I think the babies were eaten or sucked up into the intake since thats where the parents decided to stay while holding them:(

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

I have TWO more pairs that formed in my 125 gal!!!:D:D:D I looked at one of my sub-adults and noticed her tube had dropped and then I seen eggs on a rock near her! Of course I was excited, then I sat down to watch more TV and I was looking at the other end of the tank from my couch and seen FRY!!!!!! Eggs on one end of the tank and fry on the other! So I'm really excited now:)

I was really considering taking a brake from fish keeping and trying my hand at raising and breeding tree frogs and geckos just because I thought my Geos would never breed for me. But this has really "re-sparked" my fascination for these great SA Cichlids. I'm glad I procrastinated on the hobby change.;)

gonna post video once it is uploaded to youtube:popcorn:

titansfever83

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
AL
Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!!:D

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5-aVXR7Plug&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5-aVXR7Plug&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store