my first 120 gallon saltwater tank

ilikeb00st

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
TBD
Just started a saltwater tank for the first time. Took some pics tonight. Tank dimension is 4'x2'x2', I set it up so you can see the tank from both sides and one side view. Input/comments/suggestions are welcome.

The pictures below are under 48" coralife with 2x 65w actinic and 2x 65w 10k

I have a 36" catalina with 2 x 150w MH and 2x 55w actinic/10k sitting around that have not been set up reason being, I have a glass top for the tank, will running these MH's be ok? I just dont want shattered glass inside the tank. Maybe create a canopy that raises the space between the light and tank glass top to about 5"?

Should I be worried that the anemone is right next to the coral on the rock?

what is in this snail shell? soft coral?

jdubb1316

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
jackson M.I.
wonderful tank cheif,wouldn't worry to much about the anenome it will eventually move from that spot if it starts to sting the coral just move the coral.The stuff in the snail shell looks like coral just my guess.

ilikeb00st

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
TBD
Myteemouse;3438597; said:
kenya tree in the snail shell
Good start to a cool tank!!
thanks for the ID. I was surprised when i found it inside the snail shell.

ilikeb00st

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
TBD
whamphyry;3439790; said:
how did it end up in the snail shell?

nice starting tank of course ^_^

lol beats me.. I picked up the sand and rocks from a local aquarist. It was murky when i put everything in, but when it cleared up, I saw the shell with "coral" sticking out.

ilikeb00st

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
TBD
added two peppermint shrimp and took out both sally lightfoot crabs, scared that the shrimp might end up eaten by the crabs... oh..and im missing a damsel :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store