My first ray!!

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Here is my first ray I purchased on Wed. He is a retic and seems to be very healthy. He ate just ten minutes into the tank. The tank is a 55 gallon filtered by 2 Marineland 400s and is NOT his home for life.

He eats ghost shrimp endlessly and I am trying to work him on to frozen food. Any tips? How long should I go before I resort back to feeding him the ghost shrimp if he doesnt eat the frozen stuff?

DCP_0533.JPG

DCP_0557.JPG

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Nice loong tail on that retic. Congratulations. Try using blackworms as your live food since ghost shrimps are not that nutritious and will not fatten the retic as fast. Heres the usual tactic to get rays on frozen:

Fatten the ray with blackworms then try chopped earthworms :( cheaper and more fattening ) OR try tiny chopped shrimps marinated on blackworm juice or earthworm juice for about 30 mins to an hour. If the ray takes the shrimp , congrats and keep on feeding shrimps... you can try other frozens like fish fillet, shellfish pieces and smelt. If not, starve for a few days and feed the marinated chopped up shrimps ... good luck and let us know how it turns out.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Sorry about the size of the pics. I do not know how to resize them so if anyone can go for it. I bought him at my LFS for 40 dollars. What kind of growth rate should I expect? Thank for your advise on feeding.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
I measured his disk when he was climbing up the glass and it was around 5 inches in diameter. Total length of about 11 inches because he is about an inch short of the wirdth of the tank. Does anyone have any pics of a full grown retic?

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
JD7.62 said:
I measured his disk when he was climbing up the glass and it was around 5 inches in diameter. Total length of about 11 inches because he is about an inch short of the wirdth of the tank. Does anyone have any pics of a full grown retic?

expect it to hit around 8inches in a year ..

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Looks good :)

Nice long tail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store