My flowerhorn is sick! PLS HELP

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Yes indeed, Flowerhorn are quite prone to intestinal disorders -- I've seen that and other videos by that YouTuber and imho while the temp change during his water change might have weakened the fish to the degree that it enabled HITH to take over, imho he also went overboard on the crazy variety of foods he was trying to feed his fish. All a Flowerhorn needs is a good quality pellet or two and maybe only very occasional treat of frozen foods (and arguably not freeze dried krill, which some say can scratch their stomach lining, but personally not sure on that point).
Yeah. I started watching his second video and he started talking about need to use pellet food and I thought "you gotta be kidding me he was feeding live meal worms and didn't know about pellet food?".
It was interesting that he would video all this stuff he did to his fish.
Sounds like with flowerhorns a good bit of study is in order before keeping this fish.

Reactions: islandguy11

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Yes indeed, Flowerhorn are quite prone to intestinal disorders -- I've seen that and other videos by that YouTuber and imho while the temp change during his water change might have weakened the fish to the degree that it enabled HITH to take over, imho he also went overboard on the crazy variety of foods he was trying to feed his fish. All a Flowerhorn needs is a good quality pellet or two and maybe only very occasional treat of frozen foods (and arguably not freeze dried krill, which some say can scratch their stomach lining, but personally not sure on that point).
And he still does feed this way. Way overboard on the freeze dried food and the pellets he uses are all crap okiko and humpy head.

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
I would stop treatment at this point. You dosing alot of medication to a fish without a clue of what it has.

Clear poop isn't always a disease or parasites. It can be due to constipation. If this is the case and you begin treatment as you did, it can easily make the fish worse.

Medicating fish without a clue is the reason why we have problems with super bugs and viruses and is why they have stopped the sale of medication here in Canada at LFS. Must be vet prescribed now.

Microscope the poop and see what you got. Then medicate accordingly.
Well microscoping isnt available where i am and i was guessing it mustve been parasites cause he started pooping white stringy poop everytime which took him a long time to come out. Slowly day by day he started to be less active, he would still eat so i fed him pellets soaked in garlic soln also metronidazole solution which didnt do anything and hump slowly decreased hence i started treating tank with metronidazole then i gave up with it,then treated him with another medicing for a couple a days as said by my LFS. Been 3-4 days havent medicated any to him today i did a 50% wc and the medicine for dogs i posted yesterday i threw it away. Now ive finally brought levamisole HydroChloride. How am i supposed to treat him with it?

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Read the below link. When treating,make sure to observe the fish. Do a water change if the fish appears stressed.

Im really confused with dosing of this, can you or anyone help me? i have decrased the water level in my tank and made it around 17 gallons or 66 litres, i have a packet of 10 grams of levamisole. How a i supposed to correctly dose without over dosing

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
So the recommended dosage is 2ppm, which means that for a 30% powder the dosage is 0.3 grams per every 10 US gallons or 0.16 grams per 20 litre.

Keep in mind that

1 teaspoon = 4 grams
.5 teaspoon = 2 grams
.25 teaspoon = 1 gram
1.0 US Gallon = 3.78 Liters

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
So the recommended dosage is 2ppm, which means that for a 30% powder the dosage is 0.3 grams per every 10 US gallons or 0.16 grams per 20 litre.

Keep in mind that

1 teaspoon = 4 grams
.5 teaspoon = 2 grams
.25 teaspoon = 1 gram
1.0 US Gallon = 3.78 Liters
Thank you! Made it alot easier thanks!

Reactions: Coryloach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store