My freshwater amphipod

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com

I have a small colony of freshwater amphipods living in my canister filter. They on a piece of freshwater sponge that I was trying to grow. Unfortunately, the sponge have died. I think that it had starved to death. It got smaller and skinnier over time. I am guessing that my tank was over-filtered and the colony simply did not get enough food. Next time I will try keeping fresh water sponges in a less filtered tank. I think they would do great in a smaller shrimp tank with an air pump driven filter.

Here is the actual canister filter where these little guys live. I was really surprised to find them there. I have only seen them in August, when I was putting my sponge colony in my Dniester Biotope Aquarium. I kind of assumed, that they fish ate them. To my surprise, there was a bunch of these silly amphipod hanging out in my filter when I have decided to finally clean it.

Their New Home)))

Instead of living on a fresh water sponge colony, they now live on this plastic sponge)))

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Those are pretty interesting. Maybe the sponges need waterbourne detritus like African fan shrimp

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I would say using gentle filtration and then stronger internal pumps to create flow. People also use crushed flake to feed mussels so maybe that would be an idea

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
You might be able to brew up some green water to feed the sponge. Just put some tank water in a jar with a pinch of Miracle Grow and set it in a sunny window. It should grow a decent phytoplankton culture.

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
You might be able to brew up some green water to feed the sponge. Just put some tank water in a jar with a pinch of Miracle Grow and set it in a sunny window. It should grow a decent phytoplankton culture.
probably a good idea. but i'll wait before i can set up a separate tank for the sponges. i dont think they'll do well in my goby tank. luckily Dniester river is full of river sponges and i can always get them. (i never even knew they existed before i moved here)

Pseudosnail

Feeder Fish
Oct 19, 2017
I've been working with freshwater sponges for a few years now, and I think one of the biggest issues is ANY exposure to air, much like some marine sponges. Next time you "catch" one, try submerging the container and push it in. Another noteworthy point, that type of sponge survives mostly on the symbiotic algae inside its structure, so keep light on it, if you haven't already

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store