My Gar is acting strange from last three days

Adrrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2017
It's been three days now my Gar is acting strange. I have not seen him moving at all from last three days, he is just sitting still on the bottom of the tank. He is trying to move is body, but he is not really able to use his tail to swim. Also I haven't seen any waste on bottom of the tank from past three days.
As per my observation there is very limited mobility and motion from his tail fin and there is a swelling near his tail between the fins and the tail (I'm really not sure?. Also I am not seeing any
curve in his back.

Friends I really need your expertise here to understand what is wrong with him. I'm little now.

Thank you.

IMG_20180723_224155.jpg IMG_20180723_224014.jpg IMG_20180723_223940.jpg IMG_20180723_223424.jpg IMG_20180723_223306.jpg IMG_20180723_223147.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It could be from trauma and hitting the glass. Not much except wait it out if it’s the case. How big is the tank? Water/tank is cycled and pristine?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Adrrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2017
The tank is 4.5ft long and 3ft wide.
But I'm sorry, Im not sure what you mean by water cycled and pristine.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Tank cycled means that ur aquarium has gone thru the process of bacteria established that’s now converting ur waste to nitrate. So there should be a 0 reading for ammonia and nitrite. How long has the tank been established?

What I mean by pristine is that ur liquid test should show 0 for ammonia and nitrite and the nitrates shouldn’t be higher than 40ppm. The lower the better for nitrates.

Tank temp? Do you flow or current in the tank? Gar are obligatory air breathers (believe its the right term). Will not waste energy if there’s not enough oxygen in the water. But should be at the top gulping air unless it’s doing and not catching it, so I’m not sure.

Just some thoughts.

Reactions: Alexkoj

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
He does try to be at the top gulping air but finds it really difficult in adjusting a right posture to gulp air.
I think u have to answer some of the questions posed above before anyone can truly help you. Atleast to get an idea what’s going on.

Reactions: Leebtattoos

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
I agree with above. Please answer those questions and people will better be able to answer you.

That’s an interesting dimension to a tank. Specialty size for sure. I would think water conditions and perimeters would be a common term for someone who went through getting a very specific one-off tank. But I won’t jump to any further conclusions.

I hope it’s just some stress. But there’s plenty of “worst case” things too. Broken back being a more common one.

I hope the best for your Florida

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store