My Gulper Catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sharp-looking tank and the fish looks happy and healthy. Tell us about your experience with this gulper, if you will.

Reactions: Chrigu

Chrigu

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2016
Switzerland
Yes, of course i will. It was very hard to get a Gulper in Switzerland. I have him since December last jear. I thik he isn't grow a lot since then, perhaps only about an inch. When i got him he was quite skinny, he was a wildcaught one. I was lucky and otherwise he was healthy and eated instantly. I give him most of the time whole frozen fish, and sometimes a live one. I have lots of hidnig places in his 55 gallon tank, but happily hes always hangs out right in front of the Aquarium. I think if a Gulper feels safe, he didn't hide a lot. What's funny about mine is that i had kept him with guppies and this combination worked well. Now he lives with some cardinal Tetras, but that was a fault... Im very happy with him, he shows awsome coloration and is very healthy. He eats without any problems, i think the key to success is lots of hidnig places and a perfect ph level.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
That's a very good summary!

I agree about the coloration, hiding and eating. A fish that feels safe is many times going to act and look different than one that doesn't feel safe. Your tank probably feels like a good home.

Reactions: J. H. and Chrigu

Brandondaboss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2017
would they be good in a 200 gallon tank with an oscar, african pike, peacock bass, red hook, four line catfish, prehistoric catfish, and a fly river turtle(someone gave it to me, did not buy it)

Chrigu

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2016
Switzerland
Hello

No, this definitely won't work. The gulper will eat all of your fishes. A 40 gallon is already fine for a single gulper catfish, so if you really want one, do it this way.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Depends on relative sizes. Either gulper will eat or attempt to eat many or all of the listed, or some of the listed will eat or attempt to eat the gulper.

Gulper comming is tricky, it requires a fine balance. The best bet is to make sure that gulper's tank mates cannot be swallowed neither from head nor from tail by any wild stretch of imagination. On the other hand, the tank mates should not be predatory or exhibit territorial aggression to the gulper.

Brandondaboss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2017
Depends on relative sizes. Either gulper will eat or attempt to eat many or all of the listed, or some of the listed will eat or attempt to eat the gulper.

Gulper comming is tricky, it requires a fine balance. The best bet is to make sure that gulper's tank mates cannot be swallowed neither from head nor from tail by any wild stretch of imagination. On the other hand, the tank mates should not be predatory or exhibit territorial aggression to the gulper.
ok so I'll take that as a maybe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store