My Jardini is so scared of people

juicevibes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2013
US
Hi! I bought a 5" jardini last month and he's my only fish in my 100g tank (since he killed my 2 plecos.. argh) and he is hella scared of people. Every time I'm in front of my aquarium he just stays at the bottom corner and he easily gets startled every time I do a sudden movement or something. Same thing as when someone passes by, he just gets nervous and swims really fast then stays at a corner again. But when no one is around, he swims like how a normal fish would. I was wondering if I needed to do something so as to get rid of his "nervousness". A tank mate perhaps? Or some meds? I do water changes every week (15-20%) and he eats regularly. He's just so jumpy! Please help. I want to enjoy watching my fish swim and not just stare at him at a corner. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!! By the way, I think he already grew an inch since I bought him.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Do larger water changes. I would do 50%.

Ancient_Fish_Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
Las Vegas
the jardini i just bought 5 days ago is around the same size and he acted the same way. he was accompanied by a small oscar which he killed. i bought a small group of small silver dollars and some cory cats two days ago and now he doesnt get as startled as before. not sure if getting some non aggressive schooling fish actually works, but it helped in my situation.

juicevibes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2013
US
Do larger water changes. I would do 50%.
the jardini i just bought 5 days ago is around the same size and he acted the same way. he was accompanied by a small oscar which he killed. i bought a small group of small silver dollars and some cory cats two days ago and now he doesnt get as startled as before. not sure if getting some non aggressive schooling fish actually works, but it helped in my situation.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking of getting a group of clown loaches. I saw a video of a Jardini and some loaches sharing the same tank. I'll try doing larger water changes as well.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Get him some cover on the water surface floating plants , also what's the surface flow like on your tank ? Use powerheads ? They like to swim in the current makes them stong aswell and builds confidence imo , also try to had feed him or at least try to get him to come near whilst feeding , once he gets used to human contact as he grows he'll become less shy and more beast ( then the tables will turn my friend watch your fingers lol)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store