Ok, next up are the doors. Given that the stand is pretty large and bulky and is ultimately going to be dark brown, I thought that having solid brown doors would make the whole thing look too dark and heavy and overbearing in the room. So instead I opted for lighter doors in the style of Japanese shoji screens.
Here's all the wood laid out for a door with pocket holes drilled:
Assembling the outer frame:
Assembling the inner lattice (it would have been helpful to have a few more clamps at this stage):
and here's a completed door:
passing the rigorous kitty inspection:
I finished the doors with a couple of coats of dark brown paint and backed them with sturdy laminated shoji paper
Well, the stand is finally done. I should admit that I did run into some issues in the final assembly. Everything fit together perfectly before painting, but it seems that the combination of the paint and (I think) the expansion of the wood due to the arrival of hot and humid weather meant that the joints were much tighter than before (particularly the mortise joints at the bottom where the cross bars slot into the sides). It took a lot of sanding to get things to fit properly, and lot of whacking with a rubber mallet and clamping pressure to finally force things into place. I'm going to need to touch up some paint in some spots.
Everything is nice and snug now, but while the stand should still be disassembleable, it will probably take a lot more force and effort to break it down than I was initially hoping for. Oh well, a learning process as always.
Here are pics of the final product! (the pictures make it look black but it's actually a nice dark brown)