My lil Kelberi

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Picked up this lil Peacock bass kelberi... well that's what it was advertised as no reason to believe it's not upto now though , got him/her on the 1 march , currently on his own in a quarantine/grow out tank, very active and kept me active as would only eat live food up until yesterday. Here's a few pics , the 1st pic is the day I got him/her the others have just been taken 21 march , decided to name it Boeing because ...errrrm ? reminds me of a b17 ? prob should of kept that to myself ?.

20200321_143604.jpg

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Goes to google to do further research..... thanks for the info ? as this is my first PB I only read up mainly on Kelberi's as they was the perfect size for me ranging from 14-18" , back in a few mins.

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Well I'm back, a lil confused as not quite found solid info on that type, also just wrote in the wrong section , thought I was back here ?. Anyone own and know the real size of these when fully grown... hope I can keep him or her

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Can you tell they are not Kelberi a couple weeks ago? When dealing with peacock bass they should really try harder ( if its possible) to put the right species as size variations can be huge, am I right in thinking that xingus get around 18" average ? if it turns out my lfs could of done a better job and this species does get 18"+ they will be putting in towards me setting up my empty aquarium to house him/her , am I allowed to be pissed off with them or is this a easy mistake.

20200229_170334.jpg

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Unless it’s coming from a reputable vendor, and even they get it wrong. I never believe any lfs to get a I’d right. When Cichla are juves they can be easy enough to miss ID. I wouldn’t be too upset about it. Xingu get a little bigger then Kels but not much. Just a question, what was your idea of a appropriate size tank for the Kelberi?

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I have a 5 tanks , a 220g (empty again) 180g & 100g then a couple of 55's and a couple of quarantine tanks. I used to make plans but they always seem to go wrong so I surrounded myself in fish tanks and have a few spare, I've only been in the hobby for just over a year so in my 180 most fish a babies still , for the short term I plan to add the peacock bass to the 180 in the next couple of months , and shortly after that start moving the more peaceful fish out into " a nice tank" and leave the JD male, jaguar and bass in the 180 along with the red tail barb sailfin pleco and "norman "some sort of synodontis nigrita is my best guess, as they continue to grow and mature I'll be ready to separate any fish that clash hard . I couldn't say for sure where my fish will end up tank wise but I will do my best to keep them happy and thriving not just surviving, I signed up here because the info you receive is from other owners and I find that nothing is sugar coated if I need telling I'll be told ? like I said all the fish I have mixed together now or young and is a very peaceful tank and none hide although its 100% incorrect stocking , some are rescues but while it's working it's working I think I have what I need if I have to separate and have access to other tanks if everything goes wrong ( that's my guess long term ) but it would be amazing to have a bass, jd, jaguar in a 220g wouldn't it... I can dream. Again my Bass is now bigger then i planned worse case scenario I have a bass in one of the big tanks and the jaguar in the other and have a couple of smaller mixed tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store