My Midas

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Feed sparingly, slow steady growth is the key. Once a fish is semi-mature, I start to cut back on the once-a-day feedings. Some weeks I feed every other day, some weeks 4-5 days in a row, then no food for a couple of days. Mix it up, keeps the fish guessing. Never feed on water change day.

Diet - NLS has always been the main staple, but I also feed other pellet/wafer brands just to keep the gut bacteria in tip top shape, and to keep the fish from getting too attached to one single brand or formula. This fish, like all my current fish, has been raised on 100% pellets/wafers.

Keep water as pristine as possible, the rest should take care of itself. My weekly WC schedule is 80-90% change. I haven't tested for nitrates in many years - no need.

Nothing special really, hope that helps.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I did forget one thing, that may or may not be making a difference in overall health of this fish. I like to think that it has, in more than one way.

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
Feed sparingly, slow steady growth is the key. Once a fish is semi-mature, I start to cut back on the once-a-day feedings. Some weeks I feed every other day, some weeks 4-5 days in a row, then no food for a couple of days. Mix it up, keeps the fish guessing. Never feed on water change day.

Diet - NLS has always been the main staple, but I also feed other pellet/wafer brands just to keep the gut bacteria in tip top shape, and to keep the fish from getting too attached to one single brand or formula. This fish, like all my current fish, has been raised on 100% pellets/wafers.

Keep water as pristine as possible, the rest should take care of itself. My weekly WC schedule is 80-90% change. I haven't tested for nitrates in many years - no need.

Nothing special really, hope that helps.
Very nice routine and similar to what I off and have done and things I need to get back to and get better than what I am doing. I'm definitely on board doing 1 or 2 water changes per week... I know the main area I need to work on is I am a chronic overfeeder..... I was good at not feeding 1 or 2 days a week but it is a struggle for me not to drop a little bit of food in and now that I'm retired even worse, lol ,hard to resist the food begging but definitely a good practice I need to get back on track with. I'm able to get away with not feeding if I just stay gone from the house or away from the tanks lol .. I do have a variety of foods that I give and I like your practice of that.. I've used NLS in the past but it was not regularly sold in my area... there is a new LFS that has the NLS Algae wafers for plecos and being that Citrinellus are omnivores I have lately been giving that and I got 2 out of 3 that love it ....but anyway I'm getting long winded I just really respect your knowledge and the awesome well cared for Citrinellus you have 😎

SIDE NOTE... at 5 + years old Here's my current oldest Citrinellus and yeah hes a pork chop.... These fish are too intelligent for their own good and he just reminded me why I feed him as I do. He practically demands me to because to get my attention ,he smashes lid of his tank ( which he is doing now as I write) he has at times scraped up his hump so he has trained me to indulge him to stop him from doing it....

20230102_114420.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ha ha, I feel your pain. They certainly do know how to get one’s attention. Your fish is a brute!

Reactions: cich78

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Reactions: cich78 and RD.

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
Diet - NLS has always been the main staple, but I also feed other pellet/wafer brands just to keep the gut bacteria in tip top shape, and to keep the fish from getting too attached to one single brand or formula
I am interested in what other pellet/wafer brands you trust to feed, aside from NLS?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, NF for sure. I just got a bag of NF floating tropical sticks last night, and tested them out in my tanks, including this fella. Seem to go over pretty good, and this fish can at times get weird about food smell/texture/hardness.
Tropical Sticks – NorthFin Premium Fish Food

NF has done a good job with their food (they pretty much copied the original NLS formula), and in Canada the price is a lot more user friendly than NLS.(sorry Pablo!) Some of the other foods that I feed on rotation really aren't great formulas, but as previously stated I use them in the hope that they assist in keeping the microbiome in check and keep my fish from becoming attached to any one food.

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
Yes, NF for sure.
If I were to refrigerate an opened bag of NF or NLS, about how long will it stay fresh in the fridge? With all the different labels of fish food I rotate, it is hard to get through any of it in 6 months (even when I buy the small containers). I end up wasting food :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store