My natural style tanks and biotopes thread

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
These natural scapes look amazing! Makes me want to try this myself but I'm curious, what do you do about the bark on the branches? Do you strip it off some how or do you find branches that have been laying around long enough that the bark has already fallen off?

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Most of the time the branches I use have been dead a good while so most of the bark has normally fallen off.
Using fine twigs with bark left on does no harm but I would try to find pieces with the bark already off or at least easy to pull off.
If the bark still grips tightly to the branch, chances are it's not completely dead or dryed out.

Reactions: bobblehead27

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
I just had a 20' branch fall out of a tree in my backyard that I want to cut so I can fit it in my tank and leave some of the smaller branches still attached to the main branch. It was dead for several months before it fell but the bark is still attached. Wasn't sure if it was ok to use with the bark still on it or the best way to remove it. Guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for it to get good and weathered. Thanks for the advice.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I just had a 20' branch fall out of a tree in my backyard that I want to cut so I can fit it in my tank and leave some of the smaller branches still attached to the main branch. It was dead for several months before it fell but the bark is still attached. Wasn't sure if it was ok to use with the bark still on it or the best way to remove it. Guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for it to get good and weathered. Thanks for the advice.
What type of tree is it?

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
Sweet gum. Not sure how common it is in other countries but it's very common here in the southern US. It's a hardwood so I'm hoping it will work OK.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Sweet gum. Not sure how common it is in other countries but it's very common here in the southern US. It's a hardwood so I'm hoping it will work OK.
It will be fine but they are a very sappy tree.
Cutting the bark will make it ooze sap.
For this reason I would definitely remove the bark and make sure it is completely dry.
Once you have done this it should be very suitable and long lasting.
If you can soak the branch for a while this will help release the bark quicker. Once you have peeled the bark let it dry longer so the branch feels rock hard.
Try periodically cutting into it to see if it still leeks sap.
The sap will contain sugars and proteins that could foul the water if it's not quite ready. I don't believe the tree is in any way toxic but sap won't help water quality.

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
Glad to hear it should be long lasting. I do have a big tub I can soak it in and will definitely make sure I get the bark off it and it dries completely before putting it in the tank. Thanks for letting me know it's a sappy tree and thanks for the tips to get the bark off quicker.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Glad to hear it should be long lasting. I do have a big tub I can soak it in and will definitely make sure I get the bark off it and it dries completely before putting it in the tank. Thanks for letting me know it's a sappy tree and thanks for the tips to get the bark off quicker.
No problem, glad to be of help.
Good luck with your natural set up.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
They are all fantastic tanks and a credit to you! Out of curiousity.. do you keep to plants strictly in a biotope fashion or do you use a combination of plants that just work for the setup?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store