My new baby P14/henlei?

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
How big is she? With her spots being that yellow, and the fact she is pretty black already makes me think she is not pure P14. From everything I've seen P14s go from their newborn colors to a greyish color, then finally start turning actually black around maturity. In the pics yours looks pretty dark already?

Probably a terrible way to determine this, but that is my experience with P14s so far.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
How big is she? With her spots being that yellow, and the fact she is pretty black already makes me think she is not pure P14. From everything I've seen P14s go from their newborn colors to a greyish color, then finally start turning actually black around maturity. In the pics yours looks pretty dark already?

Probably a terrible way to determine this, but that is my experience with P14s so far.

She is probably about 12/13cm disc diameter

Her spots are not yellow at all. her spots are snow white and the black is black, but maybe not as as jet black as the 2 black diamonds.

If you look at the first 3 pictures i posted you will see her spots are snow white

Last edited:

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Spots looked yellowish to me in the first few pics, that is why I said that.

Regardless at that small I've never seen a p14 totally done with it's transition from newborn coloring. It should still be somewhere in the middle of that. My money is on it being a mix.

Reactions: MariaS

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Spots looked yellowish to me in the first few pics, that is why I said that.

Regardless at that small I've never seen a p14 totally done with it's transition from newborn coloring. It should still be somewhere in the middle of that. My money is on it being a mix.
Thanks for all the info... learning every day!!!

I guess I will have to be patient and time will tell

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
In my opinion this could very well be a P14 x Henlei hybrid. Because the tail doesn't really look like a P14 tail but the pattern does. Definitely not a pure P14 tail, thats for sure. So I'd guess it could be a HenxP14 hybrid with more of a P14 pattern. Anyway a very nice ray!

edit: you said she's 12/13cm? Unless she hasn't grown at all, she's DEFINITELY 100% not a pure P14. A P14 would have a brown pattern at this size. Like in this pic:

P14-pups.jpg

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
In my opinion this could very well be a P14 x Henlei hybrid. Because the tail doesn't really look like a P14 tail but the pattern does. Definitely not a pure P14 tail, thats for sure. So I'd guess it could be a HenxP14 hybrid with more of a P14 pattern. Anyway a very nice ray!

edit: you said she's 12/13cm? Unless she hasn't grown at all, she's DEFINITELY 100% not a pure P14. A P14 would have a brown pattern at this size. Like in this pic:

View attachment 1232760
Thanks Leo Messi Leo Messi ... she definitely doesn't look like the pups you posted....
She is black with lots of white spots
I noticed today as she is becoming more and more outgoing that the underside of her disc has a few rows of black spots along the edge of the disc.. if it means anything

I have only had her for just over a week so cant say she has grown a lot in this short period but she has put on some weight as she looked very thin to me when she arrived
She is eating shrimp well and massivore so im happy with progress so far

Reactions: JK47

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
Thanks Leo Messi Leo Messi ... she definitely doesn't look like the pups you posted....
She is black with lots of white spots
I noticed today as she is becoming more and more outgoing that the underside of her disc has a few rows of black spots along the edge of the disc.. if it means anything

I have only had her for just over a week so cant say she has grown a lot in this short period but she has put on some weight as she looked very thin to me when she arrived
She is eating shrimp well and massivore so im happy with progress so far
Look at those tails.

Pure P14's have a tail that kinda goes up on the end of the tail - at least those that I have seen so far.

And yeah, as already said, pics above are puppy P14's (not this pic above, I mean in my comment above). Then they go more brown-ish with spots that get white and after that turn black with white spots. White, not yellow!

But then again I find it quite hard to believe that she's only 12/13cm, kinda think that she's already 6+ months old and has therefore developed her pattern but not grown a lot because of maybe bad water quality and not enough food?! Not sure, but could be the case. I thought of this because my P14 and overall my small rays had very small "stings" on their tails at that size 12/13cm - and yours already look pretty big and "dominant".

1.JPG

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Look at those tails.

Pure P14's have a tail that kinda goes up on the end of the tail - at least those that I have seen so far.

And yeah, as already said, pics above are puppy P14's (not this pic above, I mean in my comment above). Then they go more brown-ish with spots that get white and after that turn black with white spots. White, not yellow!

But then again I find it quite hard to believe that she's only 12/13cm, kinda think that she's already 6+ months old and has therefore developed her pattern but not grown a lot because of maybe bad water quality and not enough food?! Not sure, but could be the case. I thought of this because my P14 and overall my small rays had very small "stings" on their tails at that size 12/13cm - and yours already look pretty big and "dominant".

View attachment 1232837

Thanks again for sharing all this info... much appreciated

I took pictures of her tail as requested but I didnt know exactly what the tail would show or what i was looking for, very interesting... so .. am i looking at the tip of the tail or where it joins the body?
Im sorry if i sound so ignorant....

I havent put a tape measure on her but to me she looks about 12/13cm.. max 14cm... definately not bigger..
She was very thin when she arrived.. my son said to me straight away this baby needs food several times a day which we have been doing, she has great apetite.
Obviously being imported its very difficult to be acurate or give you details of her age or what conditions she was kept in but at least now she is in a good home!...

Reactions: Leo Messi

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
I'm talking about the tip of the tail when saying it kinda goes "up" a bit. Hope you see what I meant :)

(very small pic - it's **** haha)

Your rays' tail doesn't do that, although who knows, some other ray could have took a small chunk of it's tail - happens sometimes...

And then here is a typical Henlei tail.

-
But nontheless, it's hard to tell what hybrid it really is if you don't have contract to the breeder and even the breeder himself/herself might not know exactly what mix it is.

My guess is P14 x Hen since it got declared as Hen and P14 so far and it has similarities.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store