My new beast, pic included(Great Nile Perch)

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
Here are those pics that were asked for. He is about 4" right now.

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Ohhh! Awesome little guy! Congrats!

Just curious though, what is the difference between Barramundi and Nile Perch?!?!
Obviously there is something but what is it?

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
Capo said:
Ohhh! Awesome little guy! Congrats!

Just curious though, what is the difference between Barramundi and Nile Perch?!?!
Obviously there is something but what is it?
lates calcifer, AKA barramundi.

lates niloticus,AKA nile perch.

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah...but what are the differences?
I can see that the nile perch has a darker stripe on top but barramundi get that sometimes too when in salt water and that yellowy colour.
Do they grow the same size etc?

Africa and Australia have a few fish which are very similar, well there is this example and then there is the Kob and Jewfish (mulloway, butterfish etc)
Very strange!

downset21

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
Quincy, MA
I saw a pair of nile perch at the New England Aquarium. I read that they get big, but to see them in person was jaw-dropping. They weren't even full grown. Where do you get a tank to hold that beast? Any websites that sell tanks that big in the Boston area? The biggest I've found is about 250 gallons.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
Capo said:
Yeah...but what are the differences?
I can see that the nile perch has a darker stripe on top but barramundi get that sometimes too when in salt water and that yellowy colour.
Do they grow the same size etc?

Africa and Australia have a few fish which are very similar, well there is this example and then there is the Kob and Jewfish (mulloway, butterfish etc)
Very strange!
Nile perch grow a lot bigger up to 200kg, and there are slight differences in the body shape, plus barramundi can do better in brackish water.

IoStrisciare said:
is this the one tt would get a gold color?
Yes this is the one that has the gold color morph.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store