My new group

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
I've wanted to do a multi-pleco setup for a while but never had a tank that would allow for it. I had a single L114 but that was the only pleco in the tank. I've finally gotten started on it with these guys I got from Pleco Paradise. To add to the L114, I got an L081 (small spot gold nugget), 2 L018s (medium spot gold nuggets), and an L141 (ghost pleco). I'll post a bunch of pics from when they were just put into the tank below. Sorry for the pic dump, but I have a lot :)

6.5" L114
4-5" L081
4-5" L141
2x 2.5" L018s

l081_1.jpgl018_2.jpgl018_181.jpgl081_1.jpgl081_2.jpgl081_3.jpgl081_141_1.jpgl114.jpgl114_2.jpgl141_1.jpgl141_2.jpg

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Couple of new additions. I found another gold nugget at a nearby LFS, although I'm not sure what the L number is on this guy. Hoping someone here can help. My guess is L018 but I'm not certain.

Also grabbed a tiny little L075 para pleco. It came in at around an inch and a quarter. Funny enough, it's the most active pleco in the whole tank and is always out and about, eating everything in sight. Hoping it grows quickly with these eating habits.

I moved the cichlid pair on from this tank and swapped in a group of 25 exodon paradoxus for mid-level activity. This is now a genuinely fun tank to sit in front of and watch.

075.jpg

018_2.jpg

18.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm useless at plecos but those are all very pretty! Are prices in the US also pretty high for nice plecos? Equivalently, "green phantom" plecos go for $35-45 at 4"...

Reactions: RampageRR

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Wish you were a bit closer to me ?
I'm useless at plecos but those are all very pretty! Are prices in the US also pretty high for nice plecos? Equivalently, "green phantom" plecos go for $35-45 at 4"...
Thanks! Yes, prices on the less "common" type plecos are a bit expensive. That sounds close to the US pricing on a green phantom at that size, maybe a bit less here but not by much. I'd guess there are some you can get cheaper there than here, and likewise us compared to you, but overall they're a "niche" type fish and I'd guess they'll always be priced accordingly.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thanks! Yes, prices on the less "common" type plecos are a bit expensive. That sounds close to the US pricing on a green phantom at that size, maybe a bit less here but not by much. I'd guess there are some you can get cheaper there than here, and likewise us compared to you, but overall they're a "niche" type fish and I'd guess they'll always be priced accordingly.
Makes sense, plecos are honestly quite rare here. People are stingy in the hobby this side. Can't say I've seen anything past phantoms and the occasional gold spotted pleco here.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Dang thats cheap. In sweden an green phantom that size is everywhere between 90 and 130usd.

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
These fancy plecos are not generally commercially bred. Some take relatively a long time to grow to market size. Many are still wild collected. My advice for “cheap” fancy plecos is to join your local fish club. You may meet someone who has bred some and is selling, or may have chosen to no longer keep these fish for whatever reason and may sell them. Or try traveling to a catfish convention where folks may be selling.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
These fancy plecos are not generally commercially bred. Some take relatively a long time to grow to market size. Many are still wild collected. My advice for “cheap” fancy plecos is to join your local fish club. You may meet someone who has bred some and is selling, or may have chosen to no longer keep these fish for whatever reason and may sell them. Or try traveling to a catfish convention where folks may be selling.
Good advice! Particularly there in the states. Although local groups here are not as big, I have met some wonderful deals through kind members ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store