My new hoplias aimara

Quason778

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2014
Washington, DC
Growing up in Guyana, I spent a lot of time on the Essequibo River and even though it flows and has a lot of rapids there are a lot of calm areas where large Aimara hang out. While fishing for Aimara there, we would catch them more in calm areas than in fast flowing areas. The biggest I remember ever seeing was about 2 and a half feet. Of course, I'm sure they're giants out there in fast flowing water though. I personally don't keep my Aimara with any flow in my tank, but that's just me.

Reactions: moe214 and kno4te

TheAlchemist

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2011
Vancouver, BC
any ideas to get this guy eating? hes eaten 1 silverside and 1 shrimp in the last week.. want him to start eating.. i also hav a large driftwood in tank should i leave it in or leave it open swimming space for him? any ideas would help.. thanks in advance

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Cute lil guy, good luck with him.

Maybe try moving the food in a manner representing live food to entice him into eating

Quason778

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2014
Washington, DC
T TheAlchemist aimara are funny little buggers. They ususally do what they want when they want. Saying that to say, he will eat when he's ready, you just have to keep offering food. I would keep the driftwood in the tank, because I'm pretty sure that he feels more secure with it being there.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
T TheAlchemist aimara are funny little buggers. They ususally do what they want when they want. Saying that to say, he will eat when he's ready, you just have to keep offering food. I would keep the driftwood in the tank, because I'm pretty sure that he feels more secure with it being there.
+1. Another thing to add, which probably won't happen until larger, is wolves tend to go on hunger strikes and not eat for awhile, could be weeks or months.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
any ideas to get this guy eating? hes eaten 1 silverside and 1 shrimp in the last week.. want him to start eating.. i also hav a large driftwood in tank should i leave it in or leave it open swimming space for him? any ideas would help.. thanks in advance
Like others said, its their personality. My prior aimara that went from 7in to 10in refused to eat at first and I had to leave food in the tank overnight a couple times. Then he went to eating every single day. I did some work on the tank and he stopped eating, and become like once every 3 days. He also would shift his preference of food. Would take shrimp then stop, would take tilapia then stop, etc. You just need to be patient, build a routine, and then try not to disturb the routine.

TheAlchemist

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2011
Vancouver, BC
my aimara has this tiny white spot inbetween his both eyes its not like a clear black eye.. just wondering if will b okay or any ideas if it needs to be medicated?

Screenshot_20170311-151235.png

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Probably just watch for now and monitor for spreading.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store