My new shrimp tank

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Setup a new little tank a few weeks ago, wanted to try my hand at shrimp and gain some experience as I have always enjoyed looking at them, but don't really know much about them.
Just a simple set up - collected beach sand, some rocks from outside again and added in some Anubis plants. They seem to enjoy it and look happy enough.
Stocking:
5 x Amano shrimp
6 x Cherry Shrimp
4 x Neon Tetra
+ Malaysian trumpet snails.
Just added a light to encourage more algae growth.

How often do you guys feed your shrimp? I am currently feeding once per day, 1 x crushed up Hikari Carnisticks, and sometimes a few crushed sinking algae pellets. I feel like this could be a bit much though.

Everyone seems really happy, I do a water change once a week when the nitrates reach 25ppm. How long do you think until the cherry shrimp start breeding? Will the Amano shrimp or tetras eat the shrimp fry?
I was thinking about removing the Tetras and getting a single small fish for the tank that is compatible with shrimp. Any suggestions on that?

the videos are from feeding time :)

Reactions: Jexnell

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I don't feed my shrimp, I put in some boiled leaves and let them feed on the biofilm and algae. Seeing as it looks like you don't have any algae or anything, then you could drop it maybe a quarter of an algae wafer (assuming the algae wafer is dime sized). They do not need to eat very much. The shrimp usually start breeding in a month or two, and I think the tetras may very well eat the fry, if the tetras would eat brine shrimp, they'll eat the fry no problem. I really can't think of a single small fish that would work. Only thing I think could work would be otocinclus catfish, but they feed on algae too and need a school. All other fish would likely eat the baby shrimp.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I don't feed my shrimp, I put in some boiled leaves and let them feed on the biofilm and algae. Seeing as it looks like you don't have any algae or anything, then you could drop it maybe a quarter of an algae wafer (assuming the algae wafer is dime sized). They do not need to eat very much. The shrimp usually start breeding in a month or two, and I think the tetras may very well eat the fry, if the tetras would eat brine shrimp, they'll eat the fry no problem. I really can't think of a single small fish that would work. Only thing I think could work would be otocinclus catfish, but they feed on algae too and need a school. All other fish would likely eat the baby shrimp.
Thanks for the advice Mike. I think I will remove the tetras and keep it a shrimp only tank.
Hopefully with brighter lighting I can get some algae to grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store