My New Tank for Hystrix - 155gal. 48"x48"x16" - DIY

michalm

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
MA
Hi,

Here it is! My second aquarium tank started. It took some time, and it was not easy to put together but it workes.

This aquarium is not a standard one, it has dimensions of 120cm x 120cm and a height of 40 cm. That is about 155gal (580l.) - 48" x 48" x 16". Glass thickness from which it was made 3/4" - 2cm, and this is a Frameless tank.

I ordered the tank from GlassCages.com. It has horizontal built-in overflow.
They drilled me 6 holes, each with installed valves of 1" (2.5 cm) diameter
- 4 of them are the inlets and 2 are outlets. The rear wall is painted in black.

Hydraulics is my project. Tubes, splits and valves are PVC, and i also used a check valve to supply water in case of lack of power supply or problem with pump so the water doesn't go back to the filter (risk of overflow). Desinig entire hydraulics and putting it together was a challenge! Uhhh ...

Aquarium is for my 5 stingrays Hystrix. There will be a significantly larger area for swimming and it will create more space in my 180gal. tank for my 2 Black Arowanas. They are getting bigger every day.

The aquarium stand I made by myself. The stand has 4 legs 4by4. In the pictures in the gallery you can see the exact design.
GALLERY - descriptions are in Polish

The whole thing is made out of wood and I used about 80 screws. Cabinet was painted three times in the event of moisture. I covered it in self adhesive foil in black and white to match my other tank.

Sump (Wet/Dry) filter is made from 50gal acrylic tank. (180 liters) with 6 dividers.

At the very beginning, the first compartment came with two "socks" but they were not working at all. Although the aquarium just took off and I'm still waiting to reach the correct cycle it clogged once every 2-3 days. So I threw it out, and put several layers of sponges that I ordered in China for $ 5 with shipping.
In the second chamber are colored sponges that we use most often to wash dishes in our kitchens (about 200 pieces) and on top of it I used Plexi Glass with small drilled holes. To make sure that the water flows evenly I installed another layer of thin foam lining and 100 micron. There are over 300 holes!
I thought that my hand will fall off from all that drilling. To make holes the plexiglass use special care and hold plastic firmly.
The third compartment is an experiment with an entirely new type of
cartridges: Moving Bed Filter. 3 Bubble Disk Airstone - 5 in, and lots of small / short white tubes ;))). We will see how and if this will work.
In the last place is the pump chamber - QuietOne 4000 - 980gal/h - 3700 l/h - I hope that is enough! and the excess water drain pipe straight into the red container and the system will automatically replace water. The red container and my automatic water exchange you can see here and last YT movie here (polish version).

Everything is plugged into the previously mentioned substitution Automatic Water System - means the filter Ro/Di is split and one end goes to the old tank and the other to tap new + to accurately dispense the right amount of water to each tank.

In addition, I used found in the closet never used before UV lamp. It also had to build a proper hydraulics with flow meter to ensure correct pressure.

To the UPS - CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series 1500VA 900W are connected:
- (New Tank) Sump Filter Pump + Filter Eheim Pump
- (Old Tank) Wet/Dry Filter Pump + Filter Eheim Pump + The Pump that is pumping water to canalization drains from the red container - (one more time - see my Automatic Water Exchange System).
When testing, UPS lasted about 25 minutes.

Lighting is from IKEA - Halogen - 4 x 35W
Heater: 800W - Titanium Heater with Digital JBJ TRUE TEMP Controller
Substrate: Fine gravel plain in color of various shades of brown and gray (such a mixture) /Super Naturals Peace River Substrates/ - I love it.
In the middle of quite big driftwood with 4 arms. Aniubias - 3-4 pieces that attach to the driftwood.

Waiting yet ordered Lexan cover - it's a difeternt kind of Plexiglass, more susceptible to scratches, but it is more resistant to heat, which will protect me from the plastic deformation. The cover is made of Lexan with a thickness of 1 / 2 inch. it Will be divided into two unequal parts, to accommodate the driftwood.

Thank you all For any comments regarding my entire project and for development proposals of all the aquarium.

I want to thank my wife Magda for the fact that not kicked me out with the new aquarium out of the house and bravely endured hours spent in the basement over the design, submission, building and running the project and caring for children.

FULL GALLERY - 96 pictures - descriptions are in Polish

Starting Sump Filter - First Run:
[YT]EhwR7LspKLg[/YT]

My tank and filtrations:
[YT]bK-AfIZgWCw[/YT]

Costs:
Only material without my job, and only those that appear in the final appearance.

Aquarium:
- Aquarium 120x120x40 - frame less: $ 700
- Overflow horizontal holes drilled + 6: $ 200
- Overlays holes - $ 90

- Cover the aquarium - $ 225
- Lighting - halogen IKEA - $ 45

Filter:
- 50 gal. acrylic aquarium with cover: $ 177
- 6 divisions: $ 100
- The cut acrylic strips 36 "x 1" x 0.5 "for mounting boxes and horizontal divisions: $ 80
- Several pieces of Plexiglas: $ 20

- UV Lamp - $ 150
- Water flow meter: $ 10
- Pump QuietOne 4000 - $ 90
- Filter Eheim 2078: $ 380
- Heater 800W: $ 170
- Aeration pump + hoses: $ 35
- Reconstruction of an automatic water change: $ 30
- Colorful sponges - as the main filter media in Sump: $ 45
- Sponges Other: $ 20
- Moving Bed Bio Filter Media Pond Aquaculture (rotating): $ 40

- Outlet (2 pcs) + Input (4 pcs): $ 55

Cabinet/Stand:
- Wood legs 4by4 + wood panels + 2by3: $ 180
- Self adhesive foil (white + black) + aquarium mat: $ 40
- Oil-base paint - 2 box: $ 23
- Handles & Hinges + magnets: $ 12
- Screw: $ 14

Hydraulics:
- PVC Pipes: $ 20
- Elbows, adapters: $ 65
- Valves, manifolds: $ 55
- Rubber hose: $ 10
- Clears + cement (glue): $ 10
- Metal clamps: $ 13

- Litter: $ 35
- Root: $ 30
- Anubias (plants): $ 20

Electronics:
- UPS - uninterruptible power supply: $ 170
- Timer: $ 6
- Holders for cables, cable attachment: $ 10
- Extension cords, splitters: $ 25

Total: $ 3,400

Thanks for looking !

Tank for Hystrix 02.jpg

Tank for Hystrix 15.jpg

Tank for Hystrix 16.jpg

Tank for Hystrix 20.jpg

Tank for Hystrix 53.jpg

Tank for Hystrix 54.jpg

Tank for Hystrix 59.jpg

Tank for Hystrix 71.jpg

Tank for Hystrix 75.jpg

Tank for Hystrix 86.jpg

michalm

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
MA
Yes, I made a mistake. Mods, please move this thread to the stingray section.

Thanks ;)

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
LOL yeah I don't think you'd want to keep your arowana in that tank.

Rayshot1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
California
may i ask did u have any plumbing backround ? and whats with the cyber power thing?

yodaLBC

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2010
Philippines
nice ! how much did that battery back up ran ya?

titustitus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Singapore
the arrow would literally fly out! haha but freaking nice set up :) love how its so plain, maybe thats what makes it so nice, especially with the piece of wood in the centre

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store