My newest wet pet....

Redtail Monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester, MI
Heres a good pic of the whole setup... JD is out and about! Not exactly front and center, but he was a bit distracted by the food swimming around him. lol

DSCN4617.JPG

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Agreed about the earlier RTC comment. And there's really no reason for you to be giving your fish feeders, especially goldfish type.

Nice looking setup, though.

Redtail Monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester, MI
I still give them feeders so the Gar will eat. I have posted on here for advice/help to get my gar off live food, but nobody seemed to help (it may have been on AquariaCentral), but either way, He WILL NOT eat anything but live food, I have tried dropping food in front of his face, holding it in front of his face... nothing! I would Very much rather feed prepared foods.. but he wont touch them.

Redtail Monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester, MI
And again... I am happy with my RTC, and he is happy with me! I have the means to keep him, so I am going to. Everybody says they should be left out of aquaria, and they are probably right... BUT, they are already here, and I dont see that going away. At least THIS RTC gets to live in a decent home, rather than in the 55 gallon I found him in, or in a crowded tank at the LFS!

Redtail Monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester, MI
Judging by the RTC size, in 3 to 6 month, JD will be food for the RTC...just upgrade or separate before then.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
My thoughts were right around the 6 month range... I have spent alot of time in the last month studying everyones indoor and outdoor ponds. Got some good ideas and great advice... My ideal situation would be a indoor for winter and outdoor for summer, but we'll see how that works out. Indoor pond is going to happen 100%... thats already been decided. Even if I just set up a small pool till my pond is built, either way. My RTC will be taken care of!!!

I completely understand the concern about this fish... but I do know that they can be kept. And I DO have the means to keep him. So I will be keeping him.

I really enjoy spending time on MFK, but if I have to argue my point about MY fish everytime I post, even if its not RTC related.. I will probably be spending less time on here... and that hurts me to say that, because I like the advice. But I dont feel I need to justify myself everytime I post!

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
My thoughts were right around the 6 month range... I have spent alot of time in the last month studying everyones indoor and outdoor ponds. Got some good ideas and great advice... My ideal situation would be a indoor for winter and outdoor for summer, but we'll see how that works out. Indoor pond is going to happen 100%... thats already been decided. Even if I just set up a small pool till my pond is built, either way. My RTC will be taken care of!!!

I completely understand the concern about this fish... but I do know that they can be kept. And I DO have the means to keep him. So I will be keeping him.

I really enjoy spending time on MFK, but if I have to argue my point about MY fish everytime I post, even if its not RTC related.. I will probably be spending less time on here... and that hurts me to say that, because I like the advice. But I dont feel I need to justify myself everytime I post!
You've been here less than a month so people don't know you yet. Think of that and add in the fact that the keepers on here have seen dozens of people with fish like the RTC in too small of tanks over the years that swore they had plans to upgrade. Most of them never did due to life happening. Most of the negative responses you get are from these people who don't like to see these type of creatures abused. Stick around a while and you will figure out who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't have a clue. Quit the forum and the only person really affected will be you.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Redtail Monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2012
Manchester, MI
You've been here less than a month so people don't know you yet. Think of that and add in the fact that the keepers on here have seen dozens of people with fish like the RTC in too small of tanks over the years that swore they had plans to upgrade. Most of them never did due to life happening. Most of the negative responses you get are from these people who don't like to see these type of creatures abused. Stick around a while and you will figure out who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't have a clue. Quit the forum and the only person really affected will be you.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
You know... I kinda thought that as soon as I posted it. And your right!

So with that said.. all I can say is stay tuned in.. Being as new as I am, I cant expect anybody to believe what I say. But I WILL show you all that I can/will/and do have the means to keep this fish!

And I will say this again... this RTC was in a friends 55g tank. He had NO plans to upgrade, had no idea he was going to need to. Had I not taken in this fish... he surely would have suffered, and died.

Naos1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2012
Pasig, Philippines

RTC, arapaima and the alligator gar are the cursed fish on MFK. Once shown, be prepared that it will rain questions regarding tank size, pond and all your future plans on rehoming these fish. Do not be offended. Spend some more time here on MFK and you'll be sure to take constructive criticism from some of the members. Be prepared that there really are a few not-so-nice people here. ecoli up there is one of the nice guys, though. Most of the people here will be more helpful than just being fish nazis.

Back to the fish, it's more than likely that some people are really not prepared for taking care of such fish. Tank alone is just one of the issues. Filtration and food are next. How do you filter a multi-thousand gallon pond? I'm pretty sure that the bare minimum for an adult RTC is 4,000 gallons for life. How do you heat it up? Also, when in a pond, the RTC and all the other LARGE fish does not look as wonderful looking anymore. You'll be staring at their backs. The food will be very expensive for such a fish. Given all these scenarios that WILL happen, most RTC die of either abuse or neglect. I haven't even discuss their initial living conditions cramped in very small tanks. That's what most MFK members here are trying to prevent in the first place. We really don't know what can happen in the future. And oh, an RTC grows an inch per week on a very very good environment.

Reactions: Krismo962
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store