my oscar

bigboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
hello my name is bigboy.I have a problem with an oscar I have. He likes eating goldfish, but I was un aware that to many caused protien to build up in his skin allowing a bacteria to collonize on his skin.also known as hole in the head. I have quit feeding him goldfish, much to his dismay.If somebody could help me cure this it would be greatly appreciated. So fare I have tried 3 different kinds of treatment.general cure by aquarium pharmaceuticals,melafix also by aquarium pharmaceuticals,& a bacterial infection treatment by aquarium products.He seems to get better for about a week, but then the infection returns. I dont slack on his water changes.I do these every 2 weeks or as needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :feedback:

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
holes-in-the-head is not caused by protein build-up. it's caused by poor nutrition and poor water quality, which by feeding goldfish creates both problems.

goldfish has little to no nutrition. feeding live fish creates water quality issues, which often leads to ammonia spikes and cloudy water.

the best cure is to provide a varied diet of high quality food and pellets and of course pristine water.

START DOING DAILY WATER CHANGES.

I routinely perform water changes several times a week.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Turn up your tank's temperature to 85-87 degrees F, and add Aquarium Salt, to fix your apparent parasite problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store