My polypterus ornatipinnis breeding

Obscure

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Alright, how to hatch them though? I've done some backreading and can't seem to find any info. On it. Are they fertilized or not? TIA.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Maybe get some baby brine shrimp eggs too, keep the water level low, frequent water changed and a tightly sealing lid. That's all I know :)

I'm waiting for these to appear in my tank :D

Obscure

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Yes they are fertile should be hatching soon. Make sure other aquarium is cycled.
I will, thank you so much for the tips. I hope my eggs make it (that sounded weird )

Maybe get some baby brine shrimp eggs too, keep the water level low, frequent water changed and a tightly sealing lid. That's all I know :)

I'm waiting for these to appear in my tank :D
I was actually surprised, i did not expect this at all

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Always surprises in the hobby! What species are they? :)

Reactions: Obscure

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Once the eggs hatch, try dropping the water level down pretty low (5-8cm) and running gentle filtration on it. Poly larvae need air access and struggle to find food so shallow water allows both of those things to be easier. Keep up with water changes, daily if possible, to keep it clean. Live foods are also best for feeding.

This is info that I have gathered from the forum, haven't had a chance to apply it yet though. Good luck!

Obscure

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Once the eggs hatch, try dropping the water level down pretty low (5-8cm) and running gentle filtration on it. Poly larvae need air access and struggle to find food so shallow water allows both of those things to be easier. Keep up with water changes, daily if possible, to keep it clean. Live foods are also best for feeding.

This is info that I have gathered from the forum, haven't had a chance to apply it yet though. Good luck!
Thank you for those information i'm glad i registered in the forums. Oh and by gentle filtration do you mean sponge filter with aerator?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Sponge is perfect for fish fry. :)

giseok jung giseok jung has raised polys, he may know more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store