My silver arowana in 4500 gal

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
That's amazing Viktor, what do you put the lack of drop eye down too? Pond kept so lack of head trauma?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That's amazing Viktor, what do you put the lack of drop eye down too? Pond kept so lack of head trauma?
Thanks, bro. As you probably know, there is no clarity as to what the cause(s) are, hence, I can't say anything coherent.

Among guesses, I may list adequate swimming space, no overhead tank lights, no trying to jump out of the tank and hitting lids, adequate nutrition, no obvious illnesses, especially when smaller. They did fight it out though a bit among themselves when they were small, under 6". That's how Kinky (beta) threw out its vertebrae, I think, challenging Alf (alpha). Once the pecking order was firmly in place, it got placid.

Absolutely amazing... and all those babies!!!! That must have been quite an experience!
Thank you much, Maria! The babies experience was both exciting and sad. There is a thread in the breeding forum. But I did learn the trick to get the yolk-sack bearing aro babies to start feeding on something, anything really. Frozen floating bloodworms, for one. But having 240 gal full of water didn't do it. I needed to drop the water level to a minimum, like a few inches, so that the babies run into the worms constantly. Then they slowly start recognizing them as feed. Otherwise, nothing whatsoever I tried worked and I did bend backwards trying to get them to eat anything live or prepared...

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Had a look at that thread of yours thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter .... wow.... I got so lost there I was up half the night..
Absolutely amazing thread.... babies are just so, so cute.... the collection.. well.... priceless

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Had a look at that thread of yours thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter .... wow.... I got so lost there I was up half the night..
Absolutely amazing thread.... babies are just so, so cute.... the collection.. well.... priceless
Haha... Thanks, Maria, you are too kind! I guess I should say sorry about that but you bear 50% of the responsibility for the judgment lapse in time management :)

Reactions: MariaS

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Today I've noted that Alf got a suddenly drop eye of bad magnitude in one eye. I tend to think this is probably a result of trauma. Can't be certain but the sudden appearance of the defect argues toward that cause.

This video is not focused on arowana but they are featured prominently too.

Plus one decides to check the rumors of palatability of GoPro cameras and the fingers holding them:

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Wow.. wow...

Sorry about Alf... you right its quite bad to just appear suddenly.
They both looking gorgeous though..

Do you know how many catfish are in that tank? Hehhe. Im sure there is never a crumb of food left uneaten!

Awesome..

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Today I've noted that Alf got a suddenly drop eye of bad magnitude in one eye. I tend to think this is probably a result of trauma. Can't be certain but the sudden appearance of the defect argues toward that cause.

This video is not focused on arowana but they are featured prominently too.

Plus one decides to check the rumors of palatability of GoPro cameras and the fingers holding them:

Nice video,very good quality , in this instance I see no sign of eye injury,which suggests it's related to diet, so feed him a insect based diet

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow.. wow...

Sorry about Alf... you right its quite bad to just appear suddenly.
They both looking gorgeous though..

Do you know how many catfish are in that tank? Hehhe. Im sure there is never a crumb of food left uneaten!

Awesome..
Thank you! No. Not a crumb left :)

Nice video,very good quality , in this instance I see no sign of eye injury,which suggests it's related to diet, so feed him a insect based diet
You may be right and know more about this than I do. I know little of the drop eye issues but my impression is the injury doesn't have to occur to the eye. They hit their head hard enough and in the right spot and get a drop eye, it seems to me.

Reactions: MariaS

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thank you! No. Not a crumb left :)

You may be right and know more about this than I do. I know little of the drop eye issues but my impression is the injury doesn't have to occur to the eye. They hit their head hard enough and in the right spot and get a drop eye, it seems to me.
True,but there's usually other signs of injury in those cases.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store