My spiny eel dedicated 55 gallon

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
https://ibb.co/hGxPUx

It's dedicated to spiny eels. There's two corydoras in there, they're what I used to cycle the tank a few years ago. Currently there are 7 spiny eels inside. I use black diamond sand as a substrate. Sand is the only acceptable substrate for fish who like to burrow IMO.

The 3 types of plants used are naja grass as the surface cover (to encourage the eels to stay in the tank), hornwort anchored in the substrate with lead weights and some anubias attached to driftwood. Numerous caves are offered by stacking slate on top of rocks.

Im open to ideas for more low light plants. Since eels love floating plants and do not hide as much when in tanks full of floaters, everything below has to be low light.

2 zig zag 8 " on both
1 borneo python 12"
1 black spotted 5 "
1 regular peacock 4 "
1 striped peacock 6 "
1 yellow tail 4 "

I'm workin on putting together a 220 in my basement I recenty finished. I'll be transferring my python and black spotted once he is of size. I also plan to put a fire eel inside it. I doubt I'm going to mess with the tire track eel, I hear they are very aggressive.

Last edited:

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
What kind of plant do you have in there? It filled out real nice.

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
What kind of plant do you have in there? It filled out real nice.
Naja grass is the floating plant that covers the upper part of the tank. It's the ultimate floater imo. I'e tries duck weed water lettuce, etc and naja grass is my favorite. It also seems to be the most hardy.

The other two plants are hornwort and anubias

Reactions: J. H.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
No aggression in there? Cool.

I have had success with Vallisneria and various Crypts in low tech tanks with dense floating plant cover. I've also had some luck with swords, but I do supplement those in particular with root tabs. I don't think the others care as much but they probably like it, too. (And I use Flourish as a general plant supplement at each water change.)

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
No aggression in there? Cool.

I have had success with Vallisneria and various Crypts in low tech tanks with dense floating plant cover. I've also had some luck with swords, but I do supplement those in particular with root tabs. I don't think the others care as much but they probably like it, too. (And I use Flourish as a general plant supplement at each water change.)
Nope no agrression, not even during feeding time. In all my years keeping spinys, IME agrression usually stems from keeping multiples of the same species. Im lucky so far in that my 2 zigzags are coexisiting. I've got another tank one of them can go in if it ever does happen.

Keeping the eels full, fat and in a tank that suits them perfectly probably helps lol. They get my own bin raised red worms and night crawlers every day.

Reactions: magpie

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice eels. Currently pick up a m dayi and a m mekongenesis.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Which eels are your most outgoing?

Nice! M. Dayi is one I've been interested in. Never heard of the other. I did a google search and pretty much only turned up the Wet Spot aquabid listing. Are you getting it from them?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Nice! M. Dayi is one I've been interested in. Never heard of the other. I did a google search and pretty much only turned up the Wet Spot aquabid listing. Are you getting it from them?
Got mine from aqua imports.

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018

By far my two most outgoing are the orange spotted eel and the black spotted eel. Both are basically on hunger mode 24/7 lol always begging and checking me out when I'm around the tank.

My yellow tail has really opened up recently. At first he would burrow all the time and i would have to hold a baby worm in his face and he would eat. Now he cruises the tank in search of worms.

My borneo python has realized that I mean food too and perks up whenever I'm around.

My striped and regular peacock are the most shy. They only eat worms and are so nervous to eat! They dash in check the worms out look around nervously and then dash back to their caves lol. Eventally they bite and run away with their chunk of worm

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
Bud you gotta post a pic or full name of that m mekongenesis. I did. Search and found nothing. You talking about the borneo python eel?

I' gonna try and grt some pics of my eels since its feeding time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store