Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

My spiny eel dedicated 55 gallon

Discussion in 'Eels' started by MaDMatt, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MaDMatt

MaDMatt MFK Members

Matty
      Jun 7, 2018
      https://ibb.co/hGxPUx

[​IMG]

It's dedicated to spiny eels. There's two corydoras in there, they're what I used to cycle the tank a few years ago. Currently there are 7 spiny eels inside. I use black diamond sand as a substrate. Sand is the only acceptable substrate for fish who like to burrow IMO.

The 3 types of plants used are naja grass as the surface cover (to encourage the eels to stay in the tank), hornwort anchored in the substrate with lead weights and some anubias attached to driftwood. Numerous caves are offered by stacking slate on top of rocks.

Im open to ideas for more low light plants. Since eels love floating plants and do not hide as much when in tanks full of floaters, everything below has to be low light.

2 zig zag 8 " on both
      1 borneo python 12"
      1 black spotted 5 "
      1 regular peacock 4 "
      1 striped peacock 6 "
      1 yellow tail 4 "

I'm workin on putting together a 220 in my basement I recenty finished. I'll be transferring my python and black spotted once he is of size. I also plan to put a fire eel inside it. I doubt I'm going to mess with the tire track eel, I hear they are very aggressive.

#1 MaDMatt, Apr 8, 2018
      Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    2. J. H.

J. H. MFK Members

pyh
      Yesterday at 12:58 PM
      What kind of plant do you have in there? It filled out real nice.

3. MaDMatt

MaDMatt MFK Members

Matty
      Jun 7, 2018
      Naja grass is the floating plant that covers the upper part of the tank. It's the ultimate floater imo. I'e tries duck weed water lettuce, etc and naja grass is my favorite. It also seems to be the most hardy.

The other two plants are hornwort and anubias

J. H. likes this.
    4. magpie

magpie MFK Members

Thursday at 12:30 PM
      No aggression in there? Cool.

I have had success with Vallisneria and various Crypts in low tech tanks with dense floating plant cover. I've also had some luck with swords, but I do supplement those in particular with root tabs. I don't think the others care as much but they probably like it, too. (And I use Flourish as a general plant supplement at each water change.)

5. MaDMatt

MaDMatt MFK Members

Matty
      Jun 7, 2018
      Nope no agrression, not even during feeding time. In all my years keeping spinys, IME agrression usually stems from keeping multiples of the same species. Im lucky so far in that my 2 zigzags are coexisiting. I've got another tank one of them can go in if it ever does happen.

Keeping the eels full, fat and in a tank that suits them perfectly probably helps lol. They get my own bin raised red worms and night crawlers every day.

magpie likes this.
    6. kno4te

kno4te MFK Members

Ron
      Today at 6:42 AM
      Nice eels. Currently pick up a m dayi and a m mekongenesis.

magpie likes this.
    7. magpie

magpie MFK Members

Thursday at 12:30 PM
      Which eels are your most outgoing?

Nice! M. Dayi is one I've been interested in. Never heard of the other. I did a google search and pretty much only turned up the Wet Spot aquabid listing. Are you getting it from them?

8. kno4te

kno4te MFK Members

Ron
      Today at 6:42 AM
      Got mine from aqua imports.

magpie likes this.
    9. MaDMatt

MaDMatt MFK Members

Matty
      Jun 7, 2018
      By far my two most outgoing are the orange spotted eel and the black spotted eel. Both are basically on hunger mode 24/7 lol always begging and checking me out when I'm around the tank.

My yellow tail has really opened up recently. At first he would burrow all the time and i would have to hold a baby worm in his face and he would eat. Now he cruises the tank in search of worms.

My borneo python has realized that I mean food too and perks up whenever I'm around.

My striped and regular peacock are the most shy. They only eat worms and are so nervous to eat! They dash in check the worms out look around nervously and then dash back to their caves lol. Eventally they bite and run away with their chunk of worm

magpie likes this.
    10. MaDMatt

MaDMatt MFK Members

Matty
      Jun 7, 2018
      Bud you gotta post a pic or full name of that m mekongenesis. I did. Search and found nothing. You talking about the borneo python eel?

I' gonna try and grt some pics of my eels since its feeding time

magpie likes this.