My water PH is at 5, why is this so?

Red_Belly_Pacu

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Earth
My ammonia is at 0, nitrite is at 0 and my nitrate is at an acceptable range. Why is my PH at 5? I know that people say don't put chemicals in to make the PH higher because of a more stable PH is better than a unstable one.

Is there a reason why my PH is so low? Also, my other tanks, the PH is not that low like this particular tank.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Also, certain fish like chaca chaca naturally lower the pH in a tank.

schall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Magnolia, Texas
Are you using well water? We moved from the city using lake Houston PH 7.8 to 8 then moved to the country off a well now we are at 6.6. Different aquifers can very the PH level.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
sometimes pH can be low from 'old tank syndrome' which is too much fish waste/food not being compensated by enough water changes.

or, it can be from wood like mopani wood that leaches acids into the water.

I assume you are regularly water changing this tank?

do you have any driftwood?

as mentioned, your raw water may be quite low in pH to begin with if it is well water.

Red_Belly_Pacu

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Earth
12 Volt Man;4130932; said:
sometimes pH can be low from 'old tank syndrome' which is too much fish waste/food not being compensated by enough water changes.

or, it can be from wood like mopani wood that leaches acids into the water.

I assume you are regularly water changing this tank?

do you have any driftwood?

as mentioned, your raw water may be quite low in pH to begin with if it is well water.
I am thinking it might be my old worn out bio media in my xp3. I had those things in for a while.

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Red_Belly_Pacu;4131964; said:
I am thinking it might be my old worn out bio media in my xp3. I had those things in for a while.
bio media does not wear out nor would it drop the pH even if it did

you have a serious amount of decay going on in your tank coupled with low pH / KH from the water source

maybe add some crushed coral to the filter to buff it up to atleast 6 i'd say. 5 is dangerously acidic (each number down on the pH scale is actualy 10X as acidic as the previous one so think 5 is 100x as acidic as 7 and 10 x as acidic as 6).

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
What are you using to test it? My fish tank kits don't go that low.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store