mystus wyckii catfish

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Dunno mate, if the wyckii hit 2'+ the wolf might have ended up a gonna tbh.
Curupira can get to the same size if not bigger; supposedly 30". I'm positive the wolf would be able to hold his own if he can't keep the wyckii in his place with the specimens I kept together anyway. I noticed at first before the wyckii bothered and caused the wolf to actually attack, was going around attacking whoever until he found a hide he liked then would come out at night and venture out a little further and do so, but when the wolf came around he relaxed. As I said the wolf doesn't like anyone fighting unless it's him. Also I noticed the wyckii's tolerance for other cats is less than other types of fish. I'll share some pictures of the wyckii being out and not bothering anyone.
IMG_1265.JPG IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1258.JPG IMG_1096.JPG

My dream tank consists of a wyckii, amapa aimara, and dorado in atleast an 8x4 so maybe one day I can back up arapaimags statement. If I could get something like a 12x6 or more I'd like to add a jau, lince, and apurensis too possibly in order of my most desired.

IMG_1272.JPG

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Really, I was under the impression black wolf's only hit 17-18".
True monster then!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Ye did the search interesting read my wyckii has taken overy one end of the tank hides in a large cave in the day comes out in the evening currently living with a wild caught pair of Oscar's my pair of green terrors and my gar so fare no problems currently eating white bait prawns and hikari pellets
I agree with Justarn. As the wyckii grows, so will its territorial aggression. It's just a matter of time.

And I agree with arapaimag and Moe that a much larger tank may enable one to comm wyckii peacefully. My ARTC has gone from terror to sweetheart on going from 240 gal to 4500 gal. I too had two 1.5' wyckiis in 4000 gal pond with no problem with other tank mates.

Reactions: moe214

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
Haven't been on this thread for a while but I thought I would give an update wyckii currently doing ok with his tank mates no aggression he has his cave and sticks to it ventures out at night but no problems as far I will be upgrading his home once iv moved house looking at tropical pond set up for him

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Haven't been on this thread for a while but I thought I would give an update wyckii currently doing ok with his tank mates no aggression he has his cave and sticks to it ventures out at night but no problems as far I will be upgrading his home once iv moved house looking at tropical pond set up for him
What have you got him with and how big now in what size tank. And pretty much what I experienced except my guy was aggressive to my sun cat when venturing out but left everyone else alone his dislike towards the sun cat might've been because the sun cat was the first one to challeng him and really the only one. After that anything the wyckii got it asked for.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
So he is currently in my 1200 litre with my Oscars green terror pair 2 Florida gar a Claris catfish with no problems he's roughly 10 11 inch havnt seen any aggression at all stays in his cave all day and ventures out at night
Thank you :) report back when he's over a foot and let us know how he behaves please lol

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
How's this wyckii doing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store