Nannochromis Transvestitus Experience

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I have searched online and found all I can find. Most of the info sounds like paraphrasing of the more well known detailed fish profiles. Or, on the other hand is the complete opposite.

Has anyone had experience keeping them. I am not looking for anecdotal tales or "they are said to .... warra warra warra....". I would like to hear about tank setups with actual pairs or groups of these fish.

I am looking to set up a breeding tank for them and am working on the layout to maximize comfort and minimize aggression stress.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm no cichlid expert but I sure have never heard of that name before.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...lid-display-tanks.699757/page-19#post-7930357
I have searched online and found all I can find. Most of the info sounds like paraphrasing of the more well known detailed fish profiles. Or, on the other hand is the complete opposite.

Has anyone had experience keeping them. I am not looking for anecdotal tales or "they are said to .... warra warra warra....". I would like to hear about tank setups with actual pairs or groups of these fish.

I am looking to set up a breeding tank for them and am working on the layout to maximize comfort and minimize aggression stress.
[/QOUTE

Reactions: cockroach

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area

I just finally got my hands on a pair of nanochromis splendens. Very closely related to transvestitus, and I believe very similar behavior and requirements, so hopefully we can help each other through this breeding project.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I just finally got my hands on a pair of nanochromis splendens. Very closely related to transvestitus, and I believe very similar behavior and requirements, so hopefully we can help each other through this breeding project.
Please show some pictures of these rarities.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
I also have 4 splendens and have bred transvestites in the past. Indeed they are similar in behavior. Both species seem to stick close to cover around the bottom of the tank. They aren't overtly outgoing but not shy either. I believe splendens has been bred in captivity as well. I only have limited experience with splendens, as I've only had them for a couple months though.

Reactions: cockroach

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Trans and Splendens have similar requirements. They are cave spawners. Based on body shape a higher flow through the tank would not be unwelcome. Nannochromis sp. as a whole are diggers so sand would be the best substrate. They are territorial so lots of site line breaks are ideal too.
I have a pair of Splendens in a 29g they are TR from a local hobbyist by way of an LFS. I feed pellets 1-3mm, frozen BS and Blood worms, and live black worms. I don't see them much as their tank is on the top shelf and between two other tanks. Their cave is also well shielded with other rocks and plants blocking a direct view. I do have 5 Harlequin Rasbora as dithers but they are just as skittish.
I do agree though that info on the Nannochromis sp. is lacking but since these are relatively new to the hobby it is not surprising.
MalePXL_20210510_233611904.jpg
Female on rightside
PXL_20210510_233618769.MP.jpg
Cave is in the middle of all the rocks
PXL_20210522_164216988.jpg
Female poking her head out
PXL_20210524_150923758.jpg

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Trans and Splendens have similar requirements. They are cave spawners. Based on body shape a higher flow through the tank would not be unwelcome. Nannochromis sp. as a whole are diggers so sand would be the best substrate. They are territorial so lots of site line breaks are ideal too.
I have a pair of Splendens in a 29g they are TR from a local hobbyist by way of an LFS. I feed pellets 1-3mm, frozen BS and Blood worms, and live black worms. I don't see them much as their tank is on the top shelf and between two other tanks. Their cave is also well shielded with other rocks and plants blocking a direct view. I do have 5 Harlequin Rasbora as dithers but they are just as skittish.
I do agree though that info on the Nannochromis sp. is lacking but since these are relatively new to the hobby it is not surprising.
MaleView attachment 1468206
Female on rightside
View attachment 1468207
Cave is in the middle of all the rocks
View attachment 1468211
Female poking her head out
View attachment 1468210
Thanks for the solid info and pics!! I was originally going for the splendens but when I went to order they were sold. The transvestitus looked interesting so went for it.

I have had trouble building their tank. Being my first tank I have built from scratch, it has leaked twice now. I doubled the amount of silicone forgoing the beauty of a manicured seam in the hopes it holds water this time. I will be testing it in 2 hours after a 24hr cure.

The tank is a 40cm x 40cm cube. I want to keep the setup as simple as possible and make accessing all areas easy so it will not look as nice as yours sadly. If they do breed and I get fry. I have a guppy rack with open tanks to raise the fry in.

My substrate will be sand in open areas and the rest will be leaf litter. I am adding a circulation pump but worry my choice of dithers will not enjoy it - Norman's Lampeye Killies. I will adding a variety of terracotta pots, PVC pipe caves and rocks as spawning sites in the hope they find something they like.

So far I have found the quite outgoing and dart to the front of the tank when I approach. The female is usually hiding as the males seems to actively stalk her. The decor gives her decent enough coverage to get some rest time. But he does go like an absolute bullet after her. But when it is time to feed, she will come out, grab food and disappear to her corner and wait for more.

If all goes well, fish should be in it by tomorrow or latest next week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store