Nano Reef

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I kind of doubt anybody cares about these on this forum, but might as well post my new toy.
Humble beginnings of my nano reef. Pieced together for the cheap. Under 200 bucks total so far.
Tank is about a month old, just finished up my cycle and added some cleanup crew and a few frags
fts10-25.jpg

ric.jpg

cc.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Very nice Gourami Swami Gourami Swami . Might be doing a nano reef soon. My reef keeping friends keep begging me to do a salt tank. I may go zoanthinds only tank. But a tank of red bubble tips and clowns (black and white) keep calling me.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Very nice Gourami Swami Gourami Swami . Might be doing a nano reef soon. My reef keeping friends keep begging me to do a salt tank. I may go zoanthinds only tank. But a tank of red bubble tips and clowns (black and white) keep calling me.
Do it! They are a lot of fun. Zoanthids have always been among my favorite coral, will definitely be adding some to this tank. BTA's and clowns would be beautiful too. I saw a clown at the shop the other day called a "gold Nugget", like a maroon clown but gold all over. Really stunning

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Very nice Gourami Swami Gourami Swami . If I get the itch I'm blaming you lol.:) I see a little feather duster.
Yup got 3 little feather dusters with my hammer coral, because I didn't bother to dip it. I haven't seen anything nasty yet though, so fingers crossed they are all that hitched a ride.it is fun to switch it up from FW once in a while! And nano setups are so easy and cheap to do, you might as well :) I'm a bad influence, I know haha

Is that the aquaknight or hipargero led? How ya liking it so far? I just set up another nano for a frogfish I couldn't resist and am going back and forth between that and the aquamaxx nemolight.

Good looking little tank so far, mate :)
Thanks man! Yes this is the Hipargero LED light. I really like it, only complaint at all is that the buttons to turn on/off and adjust the brightness of the two channels area bit touchy, and not the most intuitive design if you ask me. Two knobs would have been much, much better. But for the price I don't think you can beat the amount of light, and they also have a built-in fan so they don't run too hot. I was thinking about the aquamaxx too, it also looks great, this was just a bit cheaper.
Frogfish/anglers are really cool, would love to keep one of those some day. Post a pic if you have one!

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Clearwater, FL/ Janesville, WI
Thanks man! Yes this is the Hipargero LED light. I really like it, only complaint at all is that the buttons to turn on/off and adjust the brightness of the two channels area bit touchy, and not the most intuitive design if you ask me. Two knobs would have been much, much better. But for the price I don't think you can beat the amount of light, and they also have a built-in fan so they don't run too hot. I was thinking about the aquamaxx too, it also looks great, this was just a bit cheaper.
Frogfish/anglers are really cool, would love to keep one of those some day. Post a pic if you have one!

Awesome! Maybe I'll give it a go a see how low budget I can keep this little nano. It'll be an interesting experience. But here's a lick of the dude . He's got a nice rust color going now but it'll be interesting to see how he changes over time. He's probably about 3 or 4"

Snapchat-1062750293.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Awesome! Maybe I'll give it a go a see how low budget I can keep this little nano. It'll be an interesting experience. But here's a lick of the dude . He's got a nice rust color going now but it'll be interesting to see how he changes over time. He's probably about 3 or 4"

View attachment 1341542
He's so cool! I used to work at a shop with a huge marine section, and the warty anglers always attracted a lot of attention from visitors, and were one of my favorites as well. I remember we had bright red and purple ones.

Reactions: tlindsey

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Clearwater, FL/ Janesville, WI
He's so cool! I used to work at a shop with a huge marine section, and the warty anglers always attracted a lot of attention from visitors, and were one of my favorites as well. I remember we had bright red and purple ones.
There's a fish store around here that keeps a bunch of them together that are all about the same size with pipefish and seahorses and it's the coolest little tank. They've said that they've never had an issue with any of the cannabalizing eachother or eating any of the seahorses. I've kept em in the past and it would awrsome to try out a neat macroalgae heavy tank with larger seahorses like some big H. erectus and anglers.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
There's a fish store around here that keeps a bunch of them together that are all about the same size with pipefish and seahorses and it's the coolest little tank. They've said that they've never had an issue with any of the cannabalizing eachother or eating any of the seahorses. I've kept em in the past and it would awrsome to try out a neat macroalgae heavy tank with larger seahorses like some big H. erectus and anglers.
Agreed, dwarf seahorses are another I've always thought would make for a cool little tank. And I actually like the macroalgae "display refugium" look

Reactions: Capt_Rick_Dixie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store